iPhone X Face ID incorrect unlock

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by icewolf247, Nov 11, 2018.

1. icewolf247 macrumors regular

So,

My partner's phone is unlocking via my face but we haven't set up a 2nd face... I have access to his phone when he is driving so have used a passcode to unlock as face is refuses to unlock. All fine until now his phone is unlocking by my face.

Now, we may both be male, shaved heads and wear glasses but I don't believe we are looking that much the same. So what has happened to allow it to unlock?

2. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Just a guess, but you might look similar enough that continued unlocking with the passcode allowed FaceID to 'learn' your face as a variation of the original face

3. icewolf247 thread starter macrumors regular

I did wonder
    Hmm... I held off on getting X variant because I felt touch ID was better and this has just confirmed my concerns.

In this particular use case it has no impact but I guess it's an unfortunate side effect of current technology in face recognition

4. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

It’s not really a downfall. If you didn’t know the passcode then some random person wouldn’t have been able to unlock the device. I see it more as a convenience really.

5. chabig macrumors 603

That’s an incorrect conclusion. All you can conclude is that training his phone with your face let’s you unlock the phone, not him. Have him set up FaceID again and it will be fine, even while driving.