iPhone X Face ID is crap....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by scaramoosh, Dec 5, 2017.

1. scaramoosh macrumors 6502a

I bought the iPhone X at launch and initially I was impressed by it, but now I spend 80 percent of my time putting my code in. The problem is it never gets me the first time, then you have to go back and try again, or sometimes for whatever reason it sometimes tries instantly, but it’s so inconsistent.

It’s as if it has to be a perfect distance and angle from your face. If you try with it on a table, it cannot cope with the angle, despite the trailer for the phone showing it doing that. Also if you’re in bed you tend to have your phone a bit closer, it cannot cope with that either...

I’ve ended up hating my iPhone X because Face ID is just so bad. You end up having to hold your phone unnaturally, like you’re taking a selfie or something. On top of that it doesn’t work in portrait, so if you have your phone on a horizontal wireless Charing stand like me, you have to pick up your phone to unlock. My god the gestures that replace the home button do not work in portrait either, it’s so clunky.

One other point, IOS 11 has the worst auto correct ever. So many times in this post it’s corrected things so poorly, most the time it’s corrected words that were already correct.

Apple really should have made the power button into the Touch ID sensor like Sony do. I’m starting to wish they put a headphone jack in too, for whatever reason Bluetooth headphones love to disconnect and connect a lot on iPhone X when nothing is playing.

2. 0014 macrumors 6502a

I haven't had any issues you describe. FaceID works for me 99.9% of the time. Only seems to have issues if i try in really bright sunlight and the sun is on the screen. Thats the only time i have to move the phone higher.

My Powerbeats3, AirPods and Solo2 Wireless all work fine on Bluetooth.

Oh and Portrait is holding the phone in its normal use position. Landscape is horizontal but do agree some of the gestures are a bit clunky in Landscape.

I actually like the FaceID better than touch ID at the moment. I do a lot of outdoor work and at least now i don't need any "special gloves" to unlock it.

3. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

I'm with 0014 in that FaceID works nearly flawlessly. I've read in several different threads that people that got their phone on launch day were having a lot of FaceID issues that were resolved with an exchange to a newer device. I got mine three weeks ago so it would have come from a later batch. My Bluetooth is also flawless.

4. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Works 95% of the time for me. TouchID wasn’t 100% for me either. FaceID>TouchID for me.

5. Archer1440 Suspended

Archer1440

My Sony WF-1000X's, WH1000XM2's, Shure BT1/SE535's, Jaybird Freedoms and Beats Solo 3's all work flawlessly with my iPhone X, as does my Apple Watch Series 3 LTE and my car stereo, so no- as in zero- Bluetooth issues here.

FaceID is batting .900 for me.

The screen is the best I've owned, fully legible in direct sun- and unaffected by polarized glasses.

6. jimmy_uk macrumors 6502

jimmy_uk

It's worth using one of your scans at a low titled angle and one straight on. This allows for on the table unlock with a bit of lean over. Never saw a problem with face ID except it's speed + extra steps to unlock over touch ID.

Also no issues with Bluetooth with Apple watch or headphones. Perhaps you need a factory reset or your model has some fault?

7. Pseudo-Fed macrumors 6502

I believe this is true also, I'm only a few days in, but I carefully did my scans at a slight angle while holding the phone where I normally would--closer to my belly button than my face. I often tap the phone while looking at it on desk/workbench and it unlocks immediately. So far no issues in sun either, though not full sun yet.

8. scaramoosh thread starter macrumors 6502a

I also have to say I had a beard, I shaved it off and it didn't recognise me... I had to reset Face ID.

9. Sirious, Dec 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018

Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

Thank you.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one. We might be in the minority, but there is an issue!
    I agree with everything you've said, especially the lines I've made bold.

I see my passcode screen more often than I did with Touch ID.

10. scaramoosh thread starter macrumors 6502a

The screen is good apart from how some apps don't let me zoom in to fill the screen in video. That and Hearthstone is still to be updated and so I cannot play that any more or the bars annoy me.

I'm using AirPods and Bose QC35, but all the time in idle it disconnects and connects. You don't notice unless the headphones tell you via an audio message, but then I started looking at my AirPods and they do it too.

11. Ollé macrumors regular

Ollé

I’ve had my X for just under a week. So far FaceID has been exemplary so much more reliable than TouchID ever was for me at least.

Perhaps this lends some credibility to the idea that newer devices have better FaceID performance? Who knows?
    --- Post Merged, Dec 5, 2017 ---
    Interesting I’ll jsve to try with with my QC35s to see I can replicate.

12. Pseudo-Fed macrumors 6502

Forgot to mention that I have used FaceID standing, sitting, in bed, with no failures. I also regularly forget that I have a cigar in my mouth and it has had no issues. I've quit waiting on the face ID to unlock. I just pick the phone up and swipe up.

13. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

14. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

You experience is far from typical. My has worked 99.5% of the time. I do not even think about it, I just swipe up.

You phone could be defective but you harbor so much hate for the X at this point, if I were you I would choose another phone.

15. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

And this surprises you why?

This whole post reads like someone who just wants to rant against face ID but has never used it. That may not be the case, but man that's exactly how it sounds. My Face ID has been over 95% accurate so far the majority of the times it fails is when I'm at the desk and it is sitting there laying flat, or I am laying in bed. Other than that it pretty much just works all the time.

16. ectospheno macrumors regular

I remember when macrumors wasn't Apple tech support...

17. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Yeah, you're not doing FaceID right.

18. Glene macrumors 6502

10 days in and my Face ID has worked 100 pct of the time....never a glitch so far........

19. CLS1 macrumors member

My experience with Face ID has been very positive. I have used it on a bright sunny day at the beach with no issues. Even in total darkness with a fire pit as the only source of light.

In regards to your facial hair and face ID not working. I have worn a pair of sunglasses and face ID has worked(not sure if this is good or bad).

20. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

I only have a problem when I put it close to my face, which makes sense. Otherwise Face ID has been perfect for me. I don't even think about it, just swipe up. I would reset or restore your phone and try again. Seems like it's either you or the phone you have.

21. questionmark32 macrumors regular

I think MKBHD said it best. If Touch ID worked 99% of the time, Face ID worked 95-96% of the time. It can be a minor annoyance, but it's about once or twice a day. I think I unlock my phone at least 50-60x/day

22. CTHarrryH macrumors 68000

Have those who are having problems tried resetting the face id and have it take new portraits. I'm not having any issues, much better that touch-id for me but I'd try that first if it wasn't working

23. waquzy macrumors 6502

waquzy

FaceID > TouchID

FaceID is the present and the future.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Or your face is defective:D

25. ssl0408 macrumors 65816

I wouldn’t call Face ID crap but it does seem to fail a lot for me. It’s kind of annoying having to hold it at just the right angle or it fails. I’m considering disabling it but I like it for the banking apps. They need to make major improvements to it.