iPhone XS Face ID not available

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by josh bear, Jul 24, 2019.

1. josh bear macrumors 6502

Hi All,

My son has a IPhone XS and suddenly today Face ID stopped working.

He tried to reset it but the screen keeps saying move iPhone lower, then higher then Face ID not available.
    So all settings have been wiped, phone reset up and still no joy.
    He rang apple but they did a diagnostic and said they couldn’t see the problem so I thought I would ask the experts here.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Josh

2. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

3. JPack macrumors 601

JPack

Likely a hardware issue. Take it to the Apple Store for a replacement.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

If the restore did not work it sounds like the FaceID system was damaged or failed.

5. josh bear thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks all

Genius appointment booked. Thanks for the advice.

Josh

6. josh bear thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi all

Just closing the thread. Visit to apple store confirmed Face ID sensor failure and they replaced the phone straight away.

Regards

Josh

7. multipasser macrumors member

Well nice, I had my XS max in the pool for a minute. It had some water in the front camera and now face ID is broken too! Stupid water trigger is red! so no fix probably! Why the f*ck do they even say on the event the iphone is waterproof? And they do not cover water damage?

8. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

Well, Apple don’t want to suffer high device replacement cost I guess? Just a thought. But, you should be able to find a thread or two discussing this on forums, albeit a bit old.

9. vladi macrumors 6502

IPHONE XS IS NEITHER WATER RESISTANT NOR WATER PROOF. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IN THE RAIN AND HUMID CONDITIONS.

Their IP68 rating is a sham as XS has hardware design flaw. If you need your phone to keep working after being exposed to rain or a drop in the bathtub/toilet/pool/puddle please consider other manufacturers that actually comply to IP68 such as Galaxy S 9/10 or Xperia XZ2/X1 models. There is a huge difference between a phone being IP68 resistant for a month and phone being IP68 resistant for a longer period of time such as a year or more.

10. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

Well, there's your problem. They do specifically state it's for accidental drops/ splashes, not to let you use the device in the water.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT207043

11. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

Nor Apple encourage you to use their “waterproof” iPhone to take underwater shots either. Their “waterproof” is not even weatherproof. I am not gonna bring the iPhone to a pond and throw it in, expecting a perfectly working phone after picking it up.