iPhone XS Max Face ID stopped working today

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Maggiep67, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Maggiep67 macrumors regular

Maggiep67

Hi everyone.

So out of nowhere, my Face ID stopped working on my iPhone XS Max (purchased 9/29/18). Chatted with support who suggested I do the most recent update to see if that corrects the problem. Did that when I got home and nope, didn’t resolve the problem. Began a second chat. While I was waiting for a response, I checked the camera and realized it was dead. They ran a diagnostic test and confirmed it with the following: “ it shows the there is an issue with both the Front and Rear Cameras. The best option to resolve this would be to have the phone serviced.”

Has anyone had this happen? Will it be a repair or will they replace the phone? I couldn’t get an appt until next week and I’m curious how this will possibly play out.

Thanks!

2. chabig macrumors 601

It doesn't matter.
    They will replace it.

Sorry you have to wait a week for your appointment but you'll be fine after it's sorted out. Isolated failures during the warranty period are to be expected for any product. That's why warranties exist.

3. Maggiep67 thread starter macrumors regular

Maggiep67

Thanks. I thought maybe it was a known problem but I didn’t see anything in the search. I could get an appt sooner (early evening) but I wasn’t sure if they would repair instead of replacing it and I didn’t want to hang around the mall until late in the evening. The appt I do have is on the first day of my vacation.

4. chabig macrumors 601

I think you just had a weird failure, probably of one the FaceID components. If it were a widespread problem we would have heard about it by now. But really it doesn't matter to your specific case. That's why I usually answer that way. Apple should take care of you. I really expect they'll swap the phone. They don't do component level repairs.

5. Maggiep67 thread starter macrumors regular

Maggiep67

Took the phone into the Apple store today. They made an attempt to fix the camera (2 hours). The tech explained that once the camera was replaced, diagnostics came back with "other internal failure", so they replaced the phone. Glad it's resolved.

6. Crichton333 macrumors 6502

Crichton333

Thats why both cameras didnt respond.

7. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Glad it got sorted out for you
    I've had very few problems requiring a trip to the Genius, but my experiences have always been good
    Hopefully your new phone will serve you well going forward