Face ID vs Touch ID

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jamin00, Nov 4, 2017.

1. jamin00 macrumors 6502a

jamin00

Until now I never had an issue with Touch ID however since using Face ID I’m starting to get annoyed with it on my iPad Pro. Face ID so far has worked flawlessly for me despite the threads stating it doesn’t work well but in every situation including pitch black it has been amazing every time.

Touch ID on the other hand often requires more than one attempt and rarely I have to enter my code as it’s not worked. Never really thought about it before but it’s highlighted the issue for me now.

Also, with Touch ID if you have just washed your hands and they are not bone dry it wouldn’t work and obviously this won’t be an issue with Face ID :D

2. serialiphoneuser macrumors regular

3. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Face ID can be a little annoying too, although overall I’m happy with it

4. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

I’ve actually never had the wet hands issue with TouchID. I can shower, towel off, and pick up my phone and unlock with no problem.

5. ZipZap macrumors 603

No lasers are used for Face ID

6. Kjung7 macrumors 6502

That’s the dot projector. No lasers are used.

7. BrettDS macrumors 65816

TouchID gen 2 works much better with slightly wet fingers than gen 1 (although neither works with very wet fingers). The OP doesn’t say which iPad Pro he has, but if it’s got a gen 1 fingerprint sensor then I can understand the issue.

8. jamin00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamin00

iPad Pro 10.5 which I think is a gen 2?

9. serialiphoneuser macrumors regular

10. Treyhunna macrumors regular

Treyhunna

11. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Don't worry face ID is coming to the iPad.

12. jamin00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamin00

Ok coolio

13. HenryAZ macrumors 6502a

HenryAZ

Have you tried washing your face really well with a washcloth, or shaving, etc, then trying FaceID? At least for fair comparison's sake.

14. mbhforum, Nov 4, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2017

mbhforum macrumors 6502a

Both of them have pros and cons and this is why if the X had both, it would be the best of both worlds. Overall, FaceID is an improvement, but the big drawback to me is when it’s docked on a desk, flat, center console in a car, it just simply doesn’t work in a lot of situations. I knew this going in though.

FaceID Pros:

More streamlined workflow
    Lock Screen Notifications give more privacy
    Works great with apps where you are holding the phone already (i.e: Password Managers)
    More secure in MOST circumstances
    Works well if your fingers are wet, have gloves on

TouchID Pros:

More secure in families with siblings/identical twins
    Works better when the phone is docked on desk/car/flat on desk
    Multi-User Support

15. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

You know what I love about Face ID, when I’m on a website or using an app that requires authentication.

Before I’d do the obvious, rest my finger on the home button for Touch ID. Now, I need do nothing, Face ID just automatically recognises my face and off I go.

It sort of took my by surprise the first time, I got to the logon screen and muscle memory moved my finger to the bottom of the screen. But by the time o was almost there Face ID had done it’s job. I love it.

16. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

With TouchID I can't use it post shower, or getting out of the pool, or surfing, basically any 10+ minute of my hands exposed to water (this is Gen 2 scanners on iP6S/+/7). I've also had issues when I'm doing some kind of DIY on my car where my hands get dirty (and I'm using some online guide), or I'm wearing gloves - I generally started just setting my phone for "no lock" in that scenario (though I usually remember after-the-fact ...).

17. jamin00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamin00

I just traded the 7+ for the X and that’s where most of the issues happened but i only mentioned the iPad Pro as that’s what I have now to directly compare again not.
    Like I mentioned, it never used to really bother me until Face ID came along but now it’s a bit ff a pain lol.

I’ll try face id after the gym in the morning and see how it behaves as typically I pick my phone up after walking out the showing for whatever reason and see how it works, I suspect it will be flawless

18. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

24 hours with my iPhone X and don’t miss Touch ID one bit. It’s worked flawless thus far. And Face ID really shines when opening apps. It’s a near touchless procedure. It doesn’t get any quicker.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 5, 2017 ---
    It truly shines while using the phone, like you said opening apps etc.

19. bpeeps macrumors 68030

bpeeps

Towel off being key here.