Face ID

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sgw123, May 25, 2019.

1. sgw123, May 25, 2019
    Last edited: May 25, 2019

sgw123 macrumors member

I recently bought an ipad pro 12.9 - and this is my first experience of face id. With 1password it is not quite lifechanging but.. it makes a huge difference on a daily basis.

Surely this would be one of the most useful features for a Mac ?

If my Mac worked with one password like the ipad I'd save ??? number of irritating password entries a day.

Am I missing something in my workflow? How come this is not a more requested feature? This is the main reason I didn't buy the spec bump imac or Mbp - surely Apple have the technology available? I don't really care about big fat bezels etc but something like this could save me entering passwords on and off all day everyday - why don't they offer it and also - why are other Mac customers making a big deal of it?

Maybe my 1password pwd is too long?

2. chabig macrumors 603

On a MacBook, 1Password works well with TouchID. Don’t use a weak master password just to avoid typing. It’s the foundation of your security.

3. sgw123 thread starter macrumors member

I guess part of my point with this post is- surely there are things Apple can do like they used to - introduce features into their products that make our lives easier

4. chabig macrumors 603

Sure. It would be great to have FaceID on a MacBook but the display is very thin. Apple is probably working on fitting it, but we will only find out if they are successful when it’s announced.

5. sgw123 thread starter macrumors member

At a more abstract level - I'm asking - could or should Apple be looking to solve our (the users) problems more than theirs?

6. leman macrumors G3

The technology to make compact camera modules that could be fitted in a Mac laptop display does not exist yet. Some windows laptop offer this feature by integrating the camera module in the main body (so called "nose cam", its FUGLY).

I am sure that Apple would love to offer this feature, but right now, it's simply not possible. I am sure they are working on it in some form. But the technical challenge is far from trivial.

7. sgw123 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all for the reasoned replies.

I hadn't realised the tech was so limited by depth. But if that is the case - would it not be possible on something like the imac - or maybe it might turn up on the new Apple Display and near future imacs if not laptops?

Having said all of that I suppose the convenience factor needs to be balanced by privacy concerns.