Face Recognition Not Optional?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by osxhero, Apr 13, 2011.

1. osxhero macrumors member

I was told by a friend that the Mac OS doesn't allow you to turn off Face Recognition features in iPhoto, iMovie, and now I guess FCP X. He sent me this interesting diagram. Thought you guys might have some valuable observations.

I've never attached an image to a post here, so I hope this works.

Attached Files:

2. superericla macrumors 6502

While the faces feature is on by default I'm pretty sure there are ways to disable it. I know as a fact you can do so in Aperture. The facial recognition is not used by intelligence agencies at all. That's just a ridiculous claim.

3. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

Yep, nothing has ever shown up on my LittleSnitch alert for iPhoto saking for outgoing connection.

Not to mention the amount of wrong faces iPhoto has matching in my list of photos. Not very many cameras have GPS built into them. More are coming to the market but not to many at the moment on the low range to snag more users.

4. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

It would explain why face detection seems obsessed with people in the background of my photos but completely misses me or my partner standing right in the middle of the frame.

Hey given Steve's massive media ownership, a better conspiracy would be that Steve is farming your photo's for information to dispatch his personnel army of Paparazzi.

5. osxhero thread starter macrumors member

I just laughed my head off! SO TRUE!

6. osxhero thread starter macrumors member

Can someone point out how to turn this off? I'm not worried about being contacted by the NSA, but more to get back the processor power from the various products churning this information from my content. Thumbnails taking forward, and iPhoto spinning for days on my photos.

I can't find anything.

7. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

Maybe the NSA conspired with the makers of Little Snitch to hide outgoing face recognition data. :D

8. osxhero thread starter macrumors member

As I understand LittelSnitch and the now Hands Off! They rely 100% on the honor system of the Mac OS reporting outgoing events to a listener dispatch. If that listener is not part of the outgoing messaging system, data can travel freely without notice.

9. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

I would tell your "friend" to stick to 9/11 conspiracy theories. Probably more mileage in those. :)

10. osxhero thread starter macrumors member

Wow, 9/11, that's a bit of a jump my friend.

Answer me this, HOW DO YOU TURN OFF FACE RECOGNITION IN THESE PRODUCTS?

I've heard lots of folks say that you can, but not a single person tell me how. iPhoto, iMovie, and the new FCP X. I never use these features, nor do I want to pay the price of waiting for my private information to be harvested into a lookup table I'm never going to use.

11. sarge macrumors 6502a

sarge

I never use iphoto anymore since getting Lightroom but yesterday I had about 2 dozen camera raw files that would not import into LR. I tried importing them to the desktop using image capture but Photoshop wouldn't open them either.

As a last resort I imported them into iphoto and amazingly enough it read the files, but not before horrifying me as it began to index all the faces in my library! Tyranny disguised as convenience! What with all the geolocating hulabaloo I think someone should make mention of this to Al Franken when he grills them in front of the Senate Panel.