Face recognition on iphone X and law enforcement

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zo6, Sep 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zo6 macrumors member

It seems that this will make it very easy for the law enforcement people to unlock your phone or am I missing something?

2. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Sure seems like it. But for someone who is worried about ending up in police custody and having incriminating evidence on your phone you should be using a passcode anyway.

3. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

You can't unbreed idiots.

4. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

don't think they are allowed to check like that in USA or if they did the judge would dismiss anything found theirin without a warrant for such a thing.

5. SharepointGuy macrumors member

SharepointGuy

Much like how cops have the ability to force you to unlock your phone using Touch ID, I see that same scenario for Face ID. A pass code only is still the only way you cannot be forced to turn over the contents of your phone. There were rumors of IOS 11 containing a 'cop button' for temporarily disabling touch ID which I assume will likewise work for Face ID.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Let me explain something to those who have questions of what law enforcement cannot do. Now I'm speaking regarding the laws and practices in my state and I by no means am speaking for any other state laws.

1.) Law enforcement officers cannot legally access your phone unless it's under exigent circumstances. Which means, they access your iPhone under circumstances where the user cannot give consent due to an emergency only.

2.) Law Enforcement has reason to believe your iPhone is evidence pertaining to a crime, they can legally seize your iPhone for evidence, but they cannot access the information until a warrant is granted.

3.) Law Enforcement officers can access your phone if the user gives consent and has this in writing.

7. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

8. WoodpeckerBaby macrumors 6502

WoodpeckerBaby

Just make a funny face and close your eyes and play dead

9. Phone Junky macrumors 65816

Phone Junky

And respond to the thread 7 months later...

10. AMTYVLE macrumors 6502a

AMTYVLE

Right before you know you're getting arrested press and hold the side power button and volume up button for about 2-3 seconds and let go. That will disable Face ID and require your pass code.

11. Raist3001 macrumors 65816

Raist3001

Give all your personal details away via social media, but worry about law enforcement who might force you to reveal your secrets contained on your phone...seems reasonable.

12. IowaLynn macrumors 65816

IowaLynn

13. Brandonjr36 macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

If they bring you’re phone around you. Just close one eye then face id won’t work.

14. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Also after 48 hours Face ID will need a pass to work again. So unless they immediately try, it won’t matter.

15. kevmclane macrumors regular

kevmclane

There is. You just press the lock button 5 times and it disables Touch ID / Face ID
    --- Post Merged, Apr 13, 2018 ---
    My Face ID works with only one eye open, even with require attention turned on. Probably better to close both.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.