Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guklein

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
When I turn on my Face Time it does not activate. It keeps "Waiting Activation".

Anyone with the same problem?

Suggestions?

Thanks!

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
Your sim was not provisioned on 3G. It happened on my wife iPhone 2G to 4G.. Call AT&T...

Or your data was not activated...

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
This worked for me:
Go to Settings-> General-> About and let it check for any carrier updates. Then go to the Phone section in Settings and turn off FaceTime and Show My Caller ID. Restart the phone and enable FaceTime and Show My Caller ID.

guklein

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Any other idea? My iphone 4 is from UK (factory unlocked) and FaceTime is not activating! :(

Firas997

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2010
Any other idea? My iphone 4 is from UK (factory unlocked) and FaceTime is not activating! :(

i also have the same problem i bought a iphone 4 from uk and FaceTime keeps saying "waiting for activation" it is very annoying. i have tried many things and nothing worked. but i am using a cut sim that i used before on a iphone 3G and 3GS does that effect on anything?

elie.fares

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2008
I've pretty much given up on getting FaceTime activated by now. I've tried almost everything and nothing has worked. It might be that my carrier is unofficial.

readytorock

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2010
This worked for me:
Go to Settings-> General-> About and let it check for any carrier updates. Then go to the Phone section in Settings and turn off FaceTime and Show My Caller ID. Restart the phone and enable FaceTime and Show My Caller ID.

Hi.

I can tell you that this method WILL activate your FaceTime, I have done it on many friends and associates iPhone 4 with 100% success (my own included).

The only thing I found that I needed to do differently than stated in DeathChill's post, was that once the iPhone had been restarted, I had to enable Show My Caller ID and FaceTime in that order.

Give it a shot.

guklein

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
i also have the same problem i bought a iphone 4 from uk and FaceTime keeps saying "waiting for activation" it is very annoying. i have tried many things and nothing worked. but i am using a cut sim that i used before on a iphone 3G and 3GS does that effect on anything?

This problem is happening mostly with iPhones from UK. Coincidence?
:confused:

guklein

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Hi.

I can tell you that this method WILL activate your FaceTime, I have done it on many friends and associates iPhone 4 with 100% success (my own included).

The only thing I found that I needed to do differently than stated in DeathChill's post, was that once the iPhone had been restarted, I had to enable Show My Caller ID and FaceTime in that order.

Give it a shot.

Is your iPhone from UK?

How can I check for any carrier updates? Where I find this option in my iPhone? Also, is it necessary to remove the micro sim? Reset all settings?

Thanks! I want my FaceTime!
:)

readytorock

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2010
Is your iPhone from UK?

How can I check for any carrier updates? Where I find this option in my iPhone? Also, is it necessary to remove the micro sim? Reset all settings?

Thanks! I want my FaceTime!
:)

Check for carrier updates by going into Settings>General>About and if a Carrier update is available, it will automatically alert you by a pop up (you may, as I had to do, wait a minute or so while on the (About) page for it to show up... be patient).

It is not at all necessary to remove the SIM card or do a reset.

guklein

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Check for carrier updates by going into Settings>General>About and if a Carrier update is available, it will automatically alert you by a pop up (you may, as I had to do, wait a minute or so while on the (About) page for it to show up... be patient).

It is not at all necessary to remove the SIM card or do a reset.

It didn't work for me!
:(

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
FaceTime works for me on o2. Over 3G too ;) and I have a cut down simcard!

Navintar

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2006
California
I got the iphone from UK and now using it with t-mobile in the US. I got the same facetime waiting for activation problem that have given up on trying to get it to work until 4.1 comes out.

There is an app called mitime only available if you jailbreak your iphone. The app helps you communicate with apple server in activating your phone number to use with facetime. Here is the link

http://mitime.info/

I haven't tried this app yet. I went a long way to get an unlocked iPhone to avoid the annoyance of having to jailbreak every version of the OS update. So, I'll hang tight on not doing it just yet..

guklein

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
It is so weird! Why some iPhones don´t have this problem and others can´t activate the FaceTime? :confused:

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
Are you, in fact, on an authorized provider wherever you are located in the middle east? I've read about that being a problem for some facing the 'awaiting activation' problem. I can't locate the article at present.
And I'm just speculating here- is it possible that because of where you bought the phone vs. where you are trying to use the phone, you are dealing with the same issue those who are on an unauthorized carrier are facing? Have you asked your provider whether it should make a difference where you bought the iPhone? Do you have access to any direct Apple support people? I know not much help...

Jetclimb

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2003
Mine Works

Ok strange thing. I got facetime to active where I got that msg in the control panel that other people can see my phone number. I went to bed at 2am satisfied. I had earlier MMS msg myself a picture which worked I could send and receive an MMS to myself.

Now i did visit the apple store and they could not help me. Whether they did something there on their side I do not know. I have a factory unlocked iphone.

I woke and around 830am i checked and my facetime was turned OFF. When i turned it ON it said WAITING FOR ACTIVATION and I think i said *$(#&$(&. I went ahead and kept running up charging playing with it a few times. I read somewhere set the auto lock at NEVER. I did that. I also earlier set the DATA ROAMING to ON.

AN hour later still nothing but maybe the server is busy yea right. I even tried calling someone that had facetime working on ATT and no option to facetime. An hour after that facetime was ACTIVATED. Under her name in addressbook it now had the facetime option as well as on my screen when i called people.

So far it's holding. I have facetime activated on tmobile without any jailbreaking on a factory unlocked iphone. Anyone else see this activated - deactivated -activated again? I went ahead and sync'ed a few times. I also downloaded something from itunes. Sometimes the filesystem has an issue and Ive notice downloading an app corrects the issue.

Ok well Ill take my victory and hope I have only run up $30 in text msgs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.