Face unlock 2018 MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by weezerr, Aug 13, 2017.

1. weezerr macrumors regular

How likely do we think it is that Apple will add this feature to the MacBook Pro?

2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

Unlikely till the next generation. You'd need a higher resolution camera, which wouldn't fit with the current thickness. And they won't change the physical shell until next generation. So 1/10 likely.

3. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

I think sooner rather than later. I'm pretty sure it's coming with the iMac Pro.

4. jerryk macrumors 68030

Hopefully soon, but it may need new hardware such a webcams that support near-IR . When done property, facial recognition allows for considerably better security than fingerprints. Microsoft Hello is wrong less than 1 in 1,000 times with identical twins.

5. weezerr thread starter macrumors regular

It definitely will need new hardware, I just wonder if they can squeeze it into the current case design for a mid-cycle refresh. Otherwise we are looking at 2020+ I think.

6. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

Apple's probably been working on the facial recognition for quite some time (like years). It wasn't something that happened over the last few months that we've been reading about with the leaks of the new iPhone. They've also probably been working on incorporating it into other products, like the MacBook & MacBook Pro? We already know that the forthcoming iMac Pro will have a 1080p webcam. Since no one was able to touch the demo model at WWDC for a more close-up examination, who's to say that it isn't already in the works in other product lines?

7. maerz001 macrumors 6502

Having Touch ID for less than a year now IMHO it's very unlikely.

They want to milk us first

8. weezerr thread starter macrumors regular

And yet the rumors up until a few months ago was that Apple was still trying to get touchID to work in the iPhone 8 glass. Maybe they just had to accelerate the timeline of launching facial recognition.

While Im still skeptical on the phone, I think facial recognition makes a lot of sense on a laptop.

9. elemenohme macrumors regular

Does anyone recall the "my voice is my password" feature that Jobs showed off at a keynote years ago? That seemed nifty but never went anywhere. I find the "unlock with Apple Watch" feature to be a much better scheme these days.

10. blahbrah macrumors 6502

I mean it took 3 years for one line of Macs to get TouchID and I don't think we're gonna get Hey Siri anytime soon. I'd bank on face unlock coming in the next major refresh even though it does make more sense on a laptop than a phone.