Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iJason87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Just got the notification of the update. Does not seem to be much changes to be a big update. Anyone notice any big changes?

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Nothing big so far. It seems like they fixed an issue I had where if I clicked on a picture or link, when I went back I would be 4 or 5 posts away from where I originally selected. Other than that, it seems the same.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Nope, seems not obviously different.

Don't put so much weight on deciphering version numbers. There is no law that it has to make sense.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
No visual changes but seems a fraction slower. I only updated because it mentions 'speed improvements' :-/

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The only "larger" changes mentioned in the what's new section seem to be some sort of a redesign around posting for the iPad. Other things mentioned seem to be on the smaller and/or non-visibile side of things.

There's always the "Paper" app from Facebook as well.

iJason87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
I forgot about that app. Haven't tried it yet. Is it worth trying?

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
Nope, seems not obviously different.

Don't put so much weight on deciphering version numbers. There is no law that it has to make sense.

i agree but there is an unwritten rule that when the number before the "." is moved higher that there are more major/visual changes than minor ones/bug fixes.

facebook 8.0 doesn't seem to be a major update.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
i agree but there is an unwritten rule that when the number before the "." is moved higher that there are more major/visual changes than minor ones/bug fixes.

facebook 8.0 doesn't seem to be a major update.
Facebook 7.0 was released just weeks ago with just "bug fixes" and nothing else it seems. So far it looks like Facebook just kind of took the whole version numbering system and threw it in the garbage simply assuaging a new major version to pretty much every release no matter what it is (even just some bug fixes).

joju58

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2012
New York, NY
Every time i see updates for facebook I'm hoping bug when i tap on the post or picture "I don't want to see this" it still stays. I'm guessing that they don't consider this as a bug. But for me its most annoying bug.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Every time i see updates for facebook I'm hoping bug when i tap on the post or picture "I don't want to see this" it still stays. I'm guessing that they don't consider this as a bug. But for me its most annoying bug.

I hate the way that 'most recent' always needs to be selected. Facebook refuses to remember my newsfeed preferences.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
They took a lesson from chrome
Not quite. While Chrome increases its version more often than most apps there's more logic there behind it and more in the version number down to build number that does get increased with bug fix and other smaller releases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.