Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RossMc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 30, 2010
Newcastle, UK
The New York Times reports that Facebook has been working on an iPad application for the approximately last year and is closing up their testing ahead of a launch in the coming weeks. The Facebook for iPad project, which is said to be “carefully designed and optimized for the tablet,” has been overseen by Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg. Yep, the same person who said Apple’s tablet is not a mobile device.

The feature set of Facebook for iPad is said to include everything from the Facebook website but will add mobile-optimized features like taking and uploading pics and flicks. The report also says that Facebook for iPad will be free, which seems pretty obvious, and does not offer a release date more specific than “in the coming weeks.” Facebook currently serves their iOS users with their wildly popular iPhone and iPod touch application.

Source: http://www.9to5mac.com/72339/facebo...c-MacAllDay+(9+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence)

hipsigti

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2009
I was watching the news and they reported that facebook activity is down 40% from this time last year maybe it is about time facebook went the way of myspace. Maybe that is why zuckerburg decided to make the app for ipad to get more people to sign up and more option for activity.

Virgo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I was watching the news and they reported that facebook activity is down 40% from this time last year maybe it is about time facebook went the way of myspace. Maybe that is why zuckerburg decided to make the app for ipad to get more people to sign up and more option for activity.

Thank God... I'm so sick of facebook and how much power they have over users info, I hope it goes away. I used to be addicted, now I barely use it anymore (but I can't delete it. I tried for 2 months, but wound up making a new one because it's practically required to network).

GraphicsGeek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
It's not an actual app. It'll be a web app that Facebook is working on with over 80 developers including ones from Zynga. It'll be a HTML5 site so they sell apps/games and bypass the Apple App Store.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
Wow 40%?!! that's a lot. If true I'd be kind of sad and happy at the same time.

Facebook was much better when it was simple. Now its just as cluttered as MySpace. It's hard not to lose interest. Apple choosing Twitter simply may have been the result of some study that revealed FB wont be what it is today when tomorrow comes.

Peteman100

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2011
Berkeley, CA
Why has it taken them a year to make an iPad version?? Especially when guys like Zuckerberg like to brag about throwing together projects in a single night.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

There is an app for it: Safari
Don't need more ...

Firen

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Vienna, Austria
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Don't need more ...

But some people like notifications and a nicer, more app-y interface than the browser (or touchscreen) version has.

this is funah

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Berlin, Germany

Don't need more ...

unless you use chat.

using facebook on safari is quite annoying when you're receiving chat messages from friends while completely unaware you're "online"

safari is good enough, but there is always room for improvement and an official ipad app would definitely improve the experience

this is funah

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Berlin, Germany
I hope it works better than the iPhone app.

i dont understand all the complaints about the facebook for iphone app. it's been constantly improving and i think it works almost perfect.

the only issue ive noticed is that items dont always update... so if you have a new comment on a photo, it won't load it unless you X out the app and go back there.

what specific complaints do you have?

Firen

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Vienna, Austria
i dont understand all the complaints about the facebook for iphone app. it's been constantly improving and i think it works almost perfect.

the only issue ive noticed is that items dont always update... so if you have a new comment on a photo, it won't load it unless you X out the app and go back there.

what specific complaints do you have?

Pictures often do not load, albums often do not load. You get a notification that you have been tagged but then the photo doesn't show. Photo ares the most annoying thing about the app.

Sometimes you get notifications but the post itself doesn't show up at all.

Comments and likes sometimes do not post.

in 1 out of 4 times I'm using the app i have to close it and end the process because it suddenly stops working...

etc.

Edit.: I'm not saying that it's a bad app! I'm just saying that it has a lot of bugs that can be pretty annoying.

this is funah

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Berlin, Germany
Pictures often do not load, albums often do not load. You get a notification that you have been tagged but then the photo doesn't show. Photo ares the most annoying thing about the app.

Sometimes you get notifications but the post itself doesn't show up at all.

Comments and likes sometimes do not post.

in 1 out of 4 times I'm using the app i have to close it and end the process because it suddenly stops working...

etc.

Edit.: I'm not saying that it's a bad app! I'm just saying that it has a lot of bugs that can be pretty annoying.

understandable... ive experienced all of these bugs, but not often. especially in the last few months since they did the major overhaul to the internal system of the app.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
Thank God... I'm so sick of facebook and how much power they have over users info, I hope it goes away. I used to be addicted, now I barely use it anymore (but I can't delete it. I tried for 2 months, but wound up making a new one because it's practically required to network).

It really blows my mind how integrated Facebook has made themselves with just about every single site that I use

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.