Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Facebook Messenger has allowed users to send money to one another since 2015, but as of today, the chat platform is being updated with a new group payments feature.

With Facebook Messenger for the web and Android devices, users can now send and receive money between groups of people, useful for splitting a restaurant bill or pooling money for a group gift.

facebookgrouppayments-800x600.jpg

Group payments can be sent in any group conversation by tapping the plus sign to access chat features and then choosing the ($) payments icon. From there users can pick who to send money to or request money from, and a message within the group chat will keep track of who has paid.
Enter the amount you want to request per person or the total sum to divide evenly, either including yourself in the calculation or not. Finally, you can specify what the money is for - maybe a "Pizza Party," teacher gift, or more. Once you're ready, tap Request.
The Messenger group payments feature is limited to users in the United States and at the current time, it's not available on Messenger for iOS devices. Facebook does not mention if and when the feature will come to its iOS app, but features first introduced on the web do often expand to the iPhone and the iPad.

Article Link: Facebook Adds Group Payments to Messenger for Desktop

Sharkoneau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2017
Michigan
This is getting ridiculous. I still use Facebook, but exclusively on desktop. Got tired of the mobile bloatware.

macsba

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2015
Next to my Mac.
Now they know ones financial details. Wonder when they will sell the financial data. I see credit/debit cards being drained, also bank accounts.

wolfaaron

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2012
Now they know ones financial details. Wonder when they will sell the financial data. I see credit/debit cards being drained, also bank accounts.
If they drained credit/debit cards the banks would block Facebook transactions right away. That money is insured by the federal reserve and by private insurance that the bank offers to all their members.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.