Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Facebook Announces Video-Based Social App 'Lifestage' For High Schoolers

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Facebook has released a new teens-only social app called "Lifestage" that asks users to create profiles by uploading video clips instead of filling in text fields.

The standalone app is aimed at high school kids aged 21 and under, and doesn't require a Facebook account. Users are asked to select their high school and are then shown video profiles of people at the same school or ones nearby, as long as at least 20 people from the same school use the app.

User profiles ask kids to upload videos of their "happy face", "sad face", likes, dislikes, best friend, the way they dance, and more, and Lifestage turns the clips into a video profile that others can then watch on the app's social feed.

While there's no restriction on who can download the app and create an account, anyone 22 or older will only be able to see their own profile, although Lifestage notes during sign-up that it can't verify that users are the age they say they are. The app includes various highly visible blocking and reporting options, apparently to guard against the possibility of suspect users.

TechCrunch reports that the app was designed by Michael Sayman, a 19-year-old Facebook product manager who aims to replicate Facebook's original incarnation as a college student network. "I wanted to work on an app that my demographic would relate to, or at least that my friends would want to use," said Sayman.

The launch of Lifestage is certainly consistent with Mark Zuckerberg's stated goal of putting video at the heart of all of Facebook's apps and services, but it also points to the company's continuing concern at Snapchat's surging popularity among younger users, which has already led Facebook to imitate several of the app's features in its photo-focused social offering, Instagram.

Time will tell whether Lifestage succeeds in attracting a younger crowd, or goes the same way as Poke, Slingshot, Paper, and Notify, all of which Facebook eventually binned following a lack of uptake.

Lifestage is a free download for iPhone and iPad on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Facebook Announces Video-Based Social App 'Lifestage' For High Schoolers

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Products that explicitly target youth like this never work.
They're playing catch up to other competing social sites. I do think though the youth, have moved on from facebook, and this effort will not be as successful as they hope.

The father of two 10 year old girls, they're on Music.ly and Live.ly and not facebook

Comment

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
The guy who was 20 and still in high school was the butt of a lot of jokes at school...

On the one hand, I feel like the limit should be 19... On the other, any limit is blatant ageism and I don't like it...

Comment

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
They're playing catch up to other competing social sites. I do think though the youth, have moved on from facebook, and this effort will not be as successful as they hope.

The father of two 10 year old girls, they're on Music.ly and Live.ly and not facebook

That's what I've been hearing as well & hope they stay away from it. But Facebook wants young ones in their personal details strip mining operation badly (its the future) and don't like the fact that teenagers and early 20's aren't using it like their parents do.

Reactions: Altis
Comment

Shirasaki

macrumors G4
May 16, 2015
NYTimes has a video telling how WeChat becomes China's dominant platform. One app for almost everything related to life.
I don't know if Facebook is about to do the same but introducing this app is not what it should do.
Anyway, I will not use it.

Comment

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
This is...sad

Products that explicitly target youth like this never work.

Hummm... ever heard of Facebook? It was specifically targeted at college kids. They grew up and became the adults who spread it into the mainstream.

I'm glad to see Facebook going back to its roots. This is a great idea that I can see catching on because it has the same social hooks that made Facebook so popular in colleges.

Comment

mr.bee

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
Brussels, belgium
Hummm... ever heard of Facebook? It was specifically targeted at college kids. They grew up and became the adults who spread it into the mainstream.

I'm glad to see Facebook going back to its roots. This is a great idea that I can see catching on because it has the same social hooks that made Facebook so popular in colleges.

Huge difference between an initiative by students for students in a market with almost no social network vs an initiative in an overloaded social network market by a young person in a huge corporate company.

And kids know Snapchat, they'll see it as a copycat from the network their aunt and grandma is on...

Comment

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
This sounds like an easy way to cause trouble. Instead of having to find the Facebook account of someone at a school, now you're linked directly to them through a social network. While its intentions are potentially pure, this platform will be abused leading to potential abuse of the kids on the platform.

Last edited:
Comment

Jason83

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2014
PA, USA
This sounds like an easy way to cause trouble. Instead of having to find the Facebook account of someone at a school, now you're linked directly to them through a social network. While its intentions are pure, this platform will be abused leading to potential abuse of the kids on the platform.
I didn't find anything about this that hints at pure intentions.

Comment

Cineplex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2016
I wonder how much code is in there to track these kids and build an advertising profile for them and their friends outside of Facebook. You don't need an account, but they can track you anyway. Get the photos and videos into the facial and product recognition software and BOOM! New customers to sell to. Track the phone habits. Track the products and people in the videos/photos. I'm sure this app is quite the Trojan horse.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.