Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kyle76

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 22, 2017
North Carolina
Has anyone else experienced this recently? If I try to navigate the Facebook app with my keyboard’s trackpad, the app will freeze and crash. It doesn’t happen just using my fingers. This is a recent phenomenon.

Paul Cordingley

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2019
Sydney, Australia
I have a similar Facebook app problem which only started recently too, and it involves the Magic Keyboard. iPad Pro 2021, 12.9”

With the iPad connected to the keyboard, if I click on comments either with finger or trackpad, the app freezes, and I have to kill it.

With the keyboard not connected, I can click on comments with my finger as usual.

Other than that, I can scroll with the trackpad and click anywhere else on the app. It’s just that comments button which seems to be the problem.

Reactions: markphil1424

fezso

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Was googling the issue when I found this post.
same issue on my end as well. 2021 12.9” iPad Pro, 2020 Apple Magic Keyboard.

IBoomaars

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2021
Same as Fezso.
Also 2021 12.0 pro, with the 2020 Apple Magic Keyboard.

I see the exact same thing als Paul.

Also Reinstalled facebook, but that does not solve anything.

Anyone found a solution yet?

DianeO

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2021
When I did an app update on my iPad Pro 11 a few days ago ,that is attached to my magic keyboard the app facebook now freezes when I touch the comments. I have to swipe up the whole screen to trash it and then touch the app again. When I remove the iPad Pro from the magic keyboard I can use that app and it works fine. Just happens when they are attached to each other.

I removed the app and then reinstalled it and that did not work. Rebooted the iPad and that did not work. Maybe they will issue a new update on the apps and that will fix this issue.

martinbanshee

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010
Aberdeen Scotland
Exact same problem here. Facebook app works fine on my iPad Pro without the keyboard but with the Magic Keyboard attached the Facebook app freezes whenever I click on comments. Was fine until a couple of days ago.

markphil1424

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2015
OH, USA
Nothing to add, but having the same exact issues here. No problems until attaching the keyboard, and trying to open comments on FB app. iPP11 running 15.2

Reactions: ElectronGuru

SuzyF

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2021
Exactly the same as above - using Facebook and opening comments fine, then attach iPad to smart keypad and Facebook freezes when I look at comments. Also have iPad Pro 11 running 15.1. This iPad is new to me but I think Facebook worked OK at first. Have tried all the usual fixes but no luck.

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Sep 12, 2014
Yes same issue with my 3rd gen iPad Pro 12.9 and magic keyboard. i only found this thread once I also found the issue reported (today) in long thread on apple community discussions at : https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253326439?answerId=256236493022&page=3. Anyway as others report this happens as long as keyboard is attached. Works find without. In the discussion on apple communities one person documented the issue closely in details. It started with 15.0 not 15.1 (but continues with 15.1) and last three updates of facebook application. I have always noticed the facebook application on my iPad Pro seems limited not as full featured as the browser version on my macbook or my iphone even. So there seem to be issues and problems all the time with my iPad Pro and facebook but this is worse case yet.

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Sep 12, 2014
Found this on same thread on apple community. If you are using hardware keyboard. Go to setting>accessibility>Keyboards>Full keyboard access>ON

Note is causes problems though with chrome browser when turned on and I just found when turned on I cannot post comments here so this is only a fix on facebook and hitting comments when keyboard (of any kind) attached to one’s iPad.

chicagocubvpn

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2021
Found this on same thread on apple community. If you are using hardware keyboard. Go to setting>accessibility>Keyboards>Full keyboard access>ON

Note is causes problems though with chrome browser when turned on and I just found when turned on I cannot post comments here so this is only a fix on facebook and hitting comments when keyboard (of any kind) attached to one’s iPad.
Thanks for the tip, let me check it

Mattlikeacat

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2021
It worked, but now there are blue borders popping up around the os, which I guess is some accessibility feature???

Last edited:

RedDragon13

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2021
The fix worked for facebook, but now I‘m not able to type on the google suite programs that I use at work on Safari. Oh well…

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Sep 12, 2014
It worked, but now there are blue borders popping up around the os, which I guess is some accessibility feature???
Yes saw that however other websites in safari no longer work when the keyboard accessibility turned on so thats a pain to use facebook. also now seeing major problems logging into. Apple support where it keeps telling me it logged me off (right after logging on ) when I try to post in thread about this issue there. As i post replies it gives me message it failed and I was logged out. My ipad is slowly becoming a brick for online surfing use.

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Sep 12, 2014
The fix worked for facebook, but now I‘m not able to type on the google suite programs that I use at work on Safari. Oh well…
Yes same here with other websites like this one in order to be typing replies and such I have to turn the accessibility keyboard feature back off. Kind of a real kludge to use different websites other than facebook

Mattlikeacat

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2021
This problem only started for me after the iPadOS 15.1 update. Is that the same timing for everyone else? Surely it‘s a bug Apple must be sorting out?

Reactions: RedDragon13

RedDragon13

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2021
This problem only started for me after the iPadOS 15.1 update. Is that the same timing for everyone else? Surely it‘s a bug Apple must be sorting out?
Guessing a keyboard related software update, like when the keyboard backlight wouldn’t shut off when closing and it was draining the battery back in 2019.

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Sep 12, 2014
New update. I found if you go into the commands associated with the keyboard when you turn it on and inactivate the space bar command (choose clear) then things work ok. I have the accessibility turned on now, facebook is working and now I have no problems typing here or other websites. A fix for now hopefully the deactivation of the space bar in accessibility on for keyboard will not cause other problems but in general this now seems to be a solid fix. Who know when 15.2 comes out

Last edited:

Sarahsaw04

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2021
New update. I found if you go into the commands associated with the keyboard when you turn it on and inactivate the space bar command (choose clear0 then things work ok. I have the accessibility turned on now, facebook is working and now I have no problems typing here or other websites. A fix for now hopefully the deactivation of the space bar in accessibility on for keyboard will not cause other problems but in general this now seems to be a solid fix. Who know when 15.2 comes out
Rjjacobson, you are my hero! This has been driving me nuts for a couple of weeks now! I’d figured out about turning on full keyboards to stop Facebook freeze, but then it made my Outlook on my iPad Pro go nuts! Thanks so much ?

Reactions: rjjacobson

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Sep 12, 2014
Rjjacobson, you are my hero! This has been driving me nuts for a couple of weeks now! I’d figured out about turning on full keyboards to stop Facebook freeze, but then it made my Outlook on my iPad Pro go nuts! Thanks so much ?
You are welcome, it was driving me nuts also

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.