Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Super Spartan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 10, 2018
Dubai
When I go to privacy, the Facebook Apps is not listed there. I want to turn off location for Facebook. Today I opened Facebook and it suggested to me wifi hotspots based on my location so that means it does have location access.

Super Spartan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 10, 2018
Dubai
Settings>Facebook>location
There is no location setting in Settings > Facebook, just high quality photo upload, background app refresh, etc.
[doublepost=1524249501][/doublepost]Even in the Facebook App itself, if I go to settings, Location is no where to be found it's like they've removed the ability for you to turn location off.
[doublepost=1524250106][/doublepost]I installed Friendly + and even that doesn't have location settings neither in the iOS settings nor within the app itself

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
It’s true there’s no location setting for Facebook anymore. It’s possible due to Facebook privacy issue with the recent breach they may have removed from their app. I lost track which app update removed it though.

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
Strange, the location settings for Facebook are exactly where they should be on my phone. Settings -> Privacy -> Location services -> Facebook (the path might not be a 100% correct, I have it all in Finnish).

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
It’s true there’s no location setting for Facebook anymore. It’s possible due to Facebook privacy issue with the recent breach they may have removed from their app. I lost track which app update removed it though.
I don’t believe that’s true.

731C72E4-463E-4DF1-9568-C3A9A452388E.jpeg

F2E64624-ACFB-4605-BA4B-53BCB7B60C59.jpeg

Attachments

• 125946EC-727A-4676-83B5-7357347D14E3.jpeg
    125946EC-727A-4676-83B5-7357347D14E3.jpeg
    278.7 KB · Views: 250

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There is no location setting in Settings > Facebook, just high quality photo upload, background app refresh, etc.
[doublepost=1524249501][/doublepost]Even in the Facebook App itself, if I go to settings, Location is no where to be found it's like they've removed the ability for you to turn location off.
[doublepost=1524250106][/doublepost]I installed Friendly + and even that doesn't have location settings neither in the iOS settings nor within the app itself

As I recall, some permission settings (like for location) might not appear in settings until you have been initially asked in the app to enable or disable them (after that initial choice those settings should be present in settings).

You generally get prompted for these types of permissions in the app either when you start using the app first or if you access some functionality in the app that requires some permission that wasn't previously asked about.

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
As I recall, some permission settings (like for location) might not appear in settings until you have been initially asked in the app to enable or disable them (after that initial choice those settings should be present in settings).

You generally get prompted for these types of permissions in the app either when you start using the app first or if you access some functionality in the app that requires some permission that wasn't previously asked about.

You're right. I recall I never use Location for either apps and once prompted for location permission then it would be visible in settings.

Reactions: C DM

Super Spartan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 10, 2018
Dubai

You were spot on, I tried checking in some location in the Friendly app and then it asked for location permission which in turn made the location settings for that app appear in the Settings > Privacy > Location

Thanks a lot for the tip

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.