Facebook App horrible since iOS 8??

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by drnycallstar19, Oct 30, 2014.

1. drnycallstar19 macrumors member

Is anyone else having issues since updating to iOS 8 with Facebook? The facebook app has been causing my phone to freeze ever since I updated to iOS 8. It's strange because Facebook has updated about 2 or 3 times and it seems to get worse every single update. There was an update yesterday and I don't think I've able to even see my News Feed ever since. Anybody have a solution to this?

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Nope; besides, you are being very vague. The device you are on does matter as to performances of the apps. No issues whatsoever on the 6+ for me.

3. drnycallstar19 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, I actually forgot to mention I'm running 8.1 on a 5s.

4. bransoj macrumors 6502a

I wouldnt get to hung up on the fact they keep putting updates out...the cynic in me thinks these are just to reinstall the app on peoples phones to bring the cache size down as for some reason it can grow massively and reinstalling it is the only way to bring it back to a decent size!

5. Wando64 macrumors 6502

The Facebook app gets updated every two weeks.
    It is a policy. You can read it in the description of any Facebook update.

In spite of that, the app is particularly bad. :confused:

6. drnycallstar19 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I know they update every two weeks. This seems to prove bransoj's theory that they just clean out the cache. That or they just forgot about people that haven't upgraded to newer iPhones.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Don't think the cache gets cleaned out on an update.

That aside, the app seems to work the same as it did before in iOS 7 on a few iPhone 5 phones that I've dealt with.

8. Tiptizzle macrumors 6502

iPhone 5S on 8.1 here and no problems.

I assume you've tried deleting and reinstalling?

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

I'm not having any issues with it. Not sure if the OP tried it all and what the results might have been.

10. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

11. lpeedin macrumors regular

To the OP - YES, I've been experiencing the same freeze ups you have after upgrading to iOS 8.x I'm currently on 8.1 on the original iPad Mini.

What finally worked for me was deleting the app completely & then reinstalling. It is still not as responsive as it was prior to 8.x, but it's much better and, so far, no freeze ups.

HTH

12. fallenapple99 macrumors member

I have a IP6 and running 8.1. Facebook app runs like crap. It constantly locks up when it loads up, when it locks up I can do nothing except close the app with the home button. After 15-20 seconds the app usually updates the feed and starts to work. But sometimes it crashes or just doesn't respond in a timely manner so I have to force close it and close it out in the app switcher and then reopen.

13. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

Yea when my girlfriend updated her 5 to iOS 8, Facebook just destroyed her phone. I deleted her app, did a hard reset for good measure, then re installed Facebook and she has had no issues since. Give that a shot. I saw re installing was a recommendation in a previous comment here, so it seems that does the trick.

14. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

FB App has always been horrible. Not sure iOS 8 is the culprit.

15. trudi macrumors newbie

Facebook page frozen

I am unable to open Facebook from the App when I click on it facebook opens then the screen goes grey and I can't do anything with it.
    I can access it from safari.
    Has this happened to anyone else, if so can you help
    I am using I pad 2

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

Have you tried uninstalling it (and perhaps signing out of Facebook in the main Settings app) and then reinstalling it and getting back into it?

17. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yes, the OP is correct. It happened the instant I updated any device to iOS 8 and hasn't really improved since then.

Since others are apparently missing it, here are the main symptoms:

- Previously Facebook would open by showing you the last thing you were looking at. You could stare at that until more content loaded above it. Now it just shows you a white page until everything is loaded. This usually means you're staring at nothing for the first 6-8 seconds after you open the app. This started with iOS 8.

- Since getting iOS 8 I would say I've had about this many total phone freezes:
    On Springboard: 2
    In all other apps: 6
    In Facebook: 20

There are, of course, other minor things that are wrong with Facebook, but they were the same in iOS 7 so I won't bother mentioning them here. Those are the two big ones that started after the OS update.