Facebook app problem

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Hrdluck13, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Hrdluck13 macrumors member

Hi evertyone,
    My FB App was really buggy the other day so I uninstalled it..
    When I went to re-install through App store it say's the app is "Installed" which it is not.. When I look under settings it does show facebook as being installed. Problem is, there is no App for it on my Springboard..

What can I do? I have a 3GS which is JB..

Thanks... PS- I am away from a computer for a while so I cannot sync..
    I need to find a way to get it completely off the phone so I can then re-install.

2. cmaier macrumors G3

Does it show up on the phone when you search for it from the search screen?

3. Hrdluck13 thread starter macrumors member

4. Alerion macrumors newbie

I found this online, which may or may not work:

"Go to your Settings, General, Restrictions, Enable restrictions then Disable them and it should appear after that ... at least it did for me."

If that doesn't work, you might want to wait until you can sync your iPhone and re-sync all apps in iTunes. Then delete it and reinstall.

5. Hrdluck13 thread starter macrumors member

6. Alerion macrumors newbie

Did you try completely powering off your phone? Did you install/uninstall Facebook through iTunes or did you do it all on your phone?

7. Hrdluck13 thread starter macrumors member

Turned it off, "reset settings" and I unistalled through the phone.. Not Itunes on my computer..

8. Alerion macrumors newbie

I believe you lose all downloaded apps if you do this but if you don't mind, you could try going to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Home Screen Layout.

9. Hrdluck13 thread starter macrumors member

Crap.. Might hold off on that for a minute.. Thanks though..

10. Alerion macrumors newbie

Actually it only rearranges your apps, not delete them. But this probably wouldn't help you with your problem. The only thing I can think of now is to plug it into a computer and delete any trace of the Facebook app in your phone's system files.

11. Hrdluck13 thread starter macrumors member

Can I do that from a work computer that has no Itunes? How do I do it?

12. Alerion macrumors newbie

I like to use http://www.i-funbox.com/.

13. Hrdluck13 thread starter macrumors member

Nope,
    Couldn't get it to work.. Any other suggestions? This is so weird..

14. maximart4u macrumors newbie

I had the same problem mate, I had to restore my iphone and reinstall app, it worked, annoying though =/ good luck!

15. forum user macrumors regular

Try the following:
    In MobileTerminal do a
    cd /var/mobile/Applications
    ls -ld */Facebook*

If you see a "hexadecimal-string-directory/Facebook.app" returned delete that with a friendly
    rm -rf hexadecimal-string-directory/*

Good luck ;)

16. Hrdluck13 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, but I have no clue how to do this.. Anything else?

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Mine was doing the same.
    All I did was restart the iphone and then I could download it again thru the appstore on the phone.
    Seems like sometimes I can view comments on pictures and other times no. And sometimes it just turns off as soon as I try to open it. The Facebook app definetelly needs an update to fix bugs and stability issues.

18. krayziekray macrumors 6502

I had the exact same situation ... have you tried to respring your iPhone or restart it completely? Resprining the SpringBoard worked for me.

:apple: KrayzieKray :apple:

19. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

i agree with what the guy above said to do... all u have to do is go into cydia and download mobile terminal. and type in exactly what he put...

do u know how to ssh into a phone?

20. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

get sbsettings from cydia. exit out of cydia. swipe finger across top, hit more. select hide icons. scroll to facebook and turn it off. click the back button in the top left then hit the home button. it should appear, if not try this.

if you have too many apps, i think its like 12 pages, apple will not let you download anymore, although they will stay installed. even if you erase a few ones you dont want, it doesnt show. if you have lots of pages, (about 12) or even if you dont then you should try this, erase two crappy apps that you could care less for. now go to the app store and download a free app, idk jellycar, google earth, google, bing, remote, whatever. facebook should now appear.

good luck!