Facebook app question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lyons00, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Lyons00 macrumors 6502

Hi,

I'm having problems with Facebook on my iPhone 4. When, I go to chat it keeps saying error and won't show me who is on chat. If I delete it and then reinstall it, will all of my data still be there?

Thanks, Jerry

2. aztooh macrumors 6502a

the Facebook app is terrible in general...but that might have something to do with their new way of doing messages/chat. I started using the Messenger app and it works way better...although it doesn't show who's online.

What data do you mean? You'll have to sign back in, but all of your open conversations should still be available.

3. Lyons00 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,

My messages that have been there for months. I want to keep them, will they still be there if I delete and reinstall?

Thanks, Jerry

4. troop231 macrumors 603

They should be, since FB stores them on a server.

5. Lyons00 thread starter macrumors 6502

Great thanks! I sure hope, they are all still there.

Jerry

6. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Agreed with above - Facebook app is terrible. A workaround I've found for that chat issue you mention is to click the sign in button, then go and open your friends list. Then go back to chat and the online people will be listed. Don't ask me why this works.

7. Lyons00 thread starter macrumors 6502

8. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

Ditto the awfulness of the FB app. I've started using the touch.facebook.com as a web app instead. I don't get the push notifications, but otherwise it's faster and better designed.

9. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I just use the Facebook messenger app to cover my chat conversations. However, as stated, the downside is that it doesn't sow you who's online. But I can quickly check the Facebook app and then switch back (although I feel like this feature needs to be added in an update to the messenger app).

10. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

the only work around i've found, and used, is to close the App from the task manager and reopen it.

11. Lyons00 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,

Thanks to all for your help. I got it to work by closing the app in task manager and then reopened it.

Jerry

12. billnye97 macrumors regular

If you think the iPhone app is bad for Facebook don't even try the Android one. I went with an HTC Evo cause I needed a break from continous iPhones for the last three years and the Facebook app is really garbage for it. Takes forever to load the news feed, click on your profile, etc.. My wife has an iPhone 4 and the Facebook app for it is great compared to what I have.