Facebook app...

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Yester5, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Yester5 macrumors regular

Yester5

is updating on it's own even though I have background app refresh turned off.
    Why is this happening?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

How is it updating on it's own? As in how can you tell?

3. Yester5 thread starter macrumors regular

Yester5

Using my 5S this morning and the app icon for Facebook was showing it being downloaded/updating.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

The little blue dot you mean? From what I recall that sometimes can be the case when there's new data in the app not necessarily an app being updated. In my case the opposite usually happens where I update the Facebook app actually but pretty much never see the blue dot next to the icon.

5. Yester5 thread starter macrumors regular

Yester5

No dot...it looked like a pie chart overlaid on the icon and as the dial filled up, the app was updating.

6. Dieseldk macrumors newbie

That's an update of the app from App Store, you have to turn off updates under iTunes & App Store I settings if you don't want what.
    What you have turned off is updates in the app so it's updates your feed when you open Facebook app and not in the background.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Ah, I misunderstood, so it was actually updating as you were watching it happen. Interesting and certainly odd in that case...unless you don't have app updates disabled (as I thought you implied you had, but reading the OP again it seems like you actually didn't).

8. Yester5 thread starter macrumors regular

Yester5

OK..thanks for the info. That answered my question :)

9. gaanee macrumors 6502a

I have noticed that when I update an app over the air on the phone itself, then it shows the blue dot. If updated through itunes, there is no blue dot.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

I've had experience mostly over the air and while usually there is a dot sometimes there isn't one for some reason with some apps, especially Facebook.

11. alezano macrumors member

Yeah I had the same experience with the last Facebook update.