Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
I have background app refresh, location and autoplay videos turned off for FB and it doesn't run in the background for more than a few minutes after closing it.

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
What about when people post an exhaustive list of all the shiny Apple products they own in their forum sig? Are you saying that FB is kinda like that?
Lol get off your high horse. A 3.5 year old iPad and 4 year old MBP are nothing special.

I only post specs so that when I need help troubleshooting or someone asks if someone had the same problem, I don't have to type it out every time.

Thanks for trying to judge me but you failed.

Last edited by a moderator:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I have background app refresh, location and autoplay videos turned off for FB and it doesn't run in the background for more than a few minutes after closing it.
That has generally been my experience as well over the years of having and using the Facebook app.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
Should work. That's been my setup for years and I don't always remember to completely close the Facebook app. Battery usage shows it never stops goes beyond minutes, even if I left it in the hours or days.
In my very short usage of this it seems to work. Before it would stay in the background whenever i pressed the home button without force quitting it. Now battery usage showed very little background usage.

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
I seem to have some success with the following settings.

Back ground app refresh = on
Notifications = on
Location services = off
Auto play videos = never

I was getting 80% usage and over 8 hours background. It seems by having background app refresh off it causes facebook to use its nasty methods to keep running. But give it a legit way and it doesn't do that.

I also do not force close the app. Any app that needs that gets deleted.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    157.3 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Reactions: CarlJ

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
I seem to have some success with the following settings.

Back ground app refresh = on
Notifications = on
Location services = off
Auto play videos = never

I was getting 80% usage and over 8 hours background. It seems by having background app refresh off it causes facebook to use its nasty methods to keep running. But give it a legit way and it doesn't do that.

I also do not force close the app. Any app that needs that gets deleted.

I think the culprit is the auto play videos setting. I turned that off yesterday and I'm not getting much background activity now.

Reactions: Mercenary

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
I think the culprit is the auto play videos setting. I turned that off yesterday and I'm not getting much background activity now.
While it may well just be a bug knowing Facebook they probably saw this as a wonderful hack to keep their app running.

One of the articles on this had it right when they said that Facebook ignoring our preference is 'user hostile'

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada

I have the same settings..facebook dropped down to the bottom of the battery usage list.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
While it may well just be a bug knowing Facebook they probably saw this as a wonderful hack to keep their app running.

One of the articles on this had it right when they said that Facebook ignoring our preference is 'user hostile'
Yeah they're very aggressive in trying to collect as much data from us as possible. Of course the iOS app is a great opportunity for them especially with the millions of clueless people out there that have no idea what's happening.

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
I also have both Facebook and messenger set to not upload my contacts. Check your settings. By default it uploads them to their servers to 'improve the Facebook experience'

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yeah they're very aggressive in trying to collect as much data from us as possible. Of course the iOS app is a great opportunity for them especially with the millions of clueless people out there that have no idea what's happening.
The app being able to run in the background is linked to them gathering data?

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Facebook is best used on Safari in iOS. The app is always bad news. I dropped the app two years ago, and it's awesome.

Totally agree! I've never installed the Messenger app either because I don't need to.

Having said that, I rarely use Facebook these days. It's full of idiots posting pictures of their meals & sharing all sorts of crap I have no interest in. Perhaps I need better friends!

tooloud10

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
Lol get off your high horse. A 3.5 year old iPad and 4 year old MBP are nothing special.

I only post specs so that when I need help troubleshooting or someone asks if someone had the same problem, I don't have to type it out every time.

Thanks for trying to judge me but you failed. Blocked!

That doesn't make any sense. I haven't claimed superiority by doing anything like judging all FB users or listing my possessions in my sig--I just asked a question. As for the troubleshooting, that would make a lot more sense if this was a troubleshooting forum, but it's mostly just news and, uh, rumors.

mattyb_au

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2015
Brisbane, Australia
I deleted the Facebook app, problem fixed!

Facebook need to get their act together, until then I'll be using the mobile site. Before iOS 9.0.2 (iPhone 6 Plus) I was charging my phone every second day, and now it's every single day.

I can not justify having an app on my phone which drains this much battery usage from an otherwise robust OS.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Leave Facebook. It's the best thing you will ever do.
I'll do you one better. I never joined Facebook.

Don't need another app and company data mining me, and using my data plan and battery life to do it. Pleaple should bill Facebook for the data and power consumed. They sell your data, where you go what you do and make millions doing it. Google is another one.

I pay taxes to federal government so NSA collects my data. Don't need companies doing it as well. Bad enough my constitutional right to privacy is gone thanks to my own government.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.