Facebook Brings Back 'View As Public' Feature That Was Removed Because of Security Issues

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 14, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Facebook today announced that it is reintroducing the "View As Public" feature that's designed to let you see your Facebook profile as a non-friend sees it, so you can double check that you're not sharing information publicly that you don't want to share.

In addition, Facebook is adding an "Edit Public Details" button directly to your profile, which will make it easier to adjust what information about you is publicly visible.

[​IMG]

Facebook removed all "View As" features in September 2018 after a vulnerability with the feature allowed hackers to steal Facebook access tokens for almost 50 million accounts.

Facebook now says that the "View As" feature for viewing an account as a member of the public was not affected by the security incident and was more popular than the "View as Specific Person" options that are still disabled.

Article Link: Facebook Brings Back 'View As Public' Feature That Was Removed Because of Security Issues

2. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

Is facebook still relevent???

I rarely even log on anymore. Maybe once or twice a week at most. Sometimes I'll go months

3. magicschoolbus macrumors 65816

magicschoolbus

Facebook has gotten taken over by politicians, ads, and bots.

My Instagram feed gets worse and worse every day. Maybe it’s time I delete that one too.

4. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

I feel like I see a lot of political stuff but maybe that’s bc I follow political stuff? Idk.

5. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

My deepest condolences to the poor souls still using Facebook :p

6. now i see it macrumors 68040

Zuck has agreed to have FB audited by the federal government for the next 20 years for potential privacy incongruities. Like a child requiring a 24/7 chaperone because of absolute ineptitude in following rules.

7. B4U macrumors 68000

B4U

Whatever Failbook says.
    Repeat after me: EVERYTHING ARE PUBLIC THERE.

8. Sasparilla macrumors 65816

Seems the best security fix is not to install any of their 3 apps on your phone so they don’t harvest your contact list and everything else.

9. edgonzalez32 macrumors 6502

They own Instagram and What's App so yes, they are very much still relevant.

10. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

I’d quite like the option for all friend requests to be disabled, even if they’re a mutual friend.

Way back when I started using it, I’m sure you could properly lock down requests in that way. Maybe I’m misremembering.

11. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

I meant do people still care about the actual website as much as they used to when it first became big and everybody was using it all the time

12. Sir Ruben macrumors 68000

Sir Ruben

I recently deactivated my account after winding down my usage during 2018. Just before i deactivated, I had one last scroll through my feed and it was the same old people saying the same old rubbish.

Felt good to come away from it. Just a tool that wastes your time with rubbish while the company controlling it is misusing your data.

I can honestly say it’s highly likely I will never go back.
    --- Post Merged, May 15, 2019 ---
    Politics is everywhere now unfortunately. Twitter in particular, where you constantly see the people you follow tweet and retweet anti Trump messages and make sure that it is very clear to everyone that they are on the left. In today’s climate it’s probably impossible to avoid it whether you want to or not.

13. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

What a ridiculous comment, plenty of people on my Facebook make posts all the time

Hell even people in high school are still using Facebook

But oh no Mr Hieveryone doesn’t use it so that means it’s impossible others are :rolleyes:

14. Digital Dude macrumors 6502a

Digital Dude

Arizona where freedom still means something
    Cool, but I dropped FB two-years ago; not because of the always tracking my every thought, but that condescending dork that founded the company.

15. imola.zhp macrumors 6502a

imola.zhp

To those without facebook...

How do you fight with strangers about politics?

I'm quite enjoying reporting all of the fake news my friends and family are dumb enough to share.

16. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

How old are the people who still use it? I don’t really keep up with what old people are doing

17. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

People in their 20s are old? People in their teens are old? That’s news to me!

18. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

Hmmm so do you think people in their 20s are using it?

19. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

Unless my eyes are faulty then yes

20. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

I heard Facebook is for old people. I don’t really go on much anymore.

21. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

If you’re just going to go around saying what others say then do this for me, tell everyone “SoN1NjA from the Macrumors Forums is the real God”