Facebook chat on ipad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mac'nCheese, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Does anyone know why I can't find the chat section of Facebook on my iPad 2 in safari? Thank u.

2. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

It's not supported by Facebook. You'll need to download an app to use it. I use the AIM app for it, but there are tons.

3. Meljackson macrumors newbie

4. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

You can sign into Chat using the "Friendly" iPad Facebook app, but it has been very inconsistent with me. It's very buggy.

5. MarioB macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just hook up your aim account to fb. That's what I do on all my ip4 as well

6. MarioB macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just hook up your aim account to fb. That's what I do on all my ip4 as well

7. smugDrew macrumors member

Honestly, Facebook has the funds and (I assume) the engineering staff to create an Facebook App for iPad. I don't understand why Zuckerberg is dragging his feet on this. Gah! Angry mad now.

8. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

They want people to use the broswer version of Facebook on their iPads. Pherhaps because the browser version has ads which they make money from and the mobile versions have no ads therefore earning them less profit. With that in mind it could of been a business decision made by FaceBook to not make an iPad app.

To answer the OP's question, the facebook app for iPhone has a chat feature which I use from my iPad however there are heaps of apps in the app store which work with Facebook chat, just find one that works for you and you'll be set.

9. TH3D4RKKN1GH7 macrumors 6502a

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

I've been using Friendly for iPad and I absolutely adore it. Also has Facebook chat and will sync the convo from wherever you were chatting on the desktop.

10. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I support Facebook's decision not to make an app, but they need to at least have the site in 100% working condition on the iPad if that's the route they take. Ignoring chat and other features (video is FINALLY making it's way to the iPad) is not okay.

11. smugDrew macrumors member

No one at Facebook or Zuckerberg cares, if you support their decisions. Or what we say here.

At the same time, if Facebook wants to expand their user base they need to fix Facebook on iPad. If they're choosing to totally ignore the iPad, then it's an amazingly foolish decision - which I honestly don't think Facebook have actually made.

12. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

I use AIM. It works, until about 3 weeks ago. Now it doesn't auto refresh who's online. could says there are 40/70 people online, when theres really 6/70. you gotta sign off, then sign back on to see a real count of who is online. idk wtf happened. Same with AIM for iPhone.

Also, the web browser Terra for iPad has Facebook chat like a desktop client and everything is pretty accessible, but still a tad buggy. Terra was free when i got it. Maybe $$ now, but a great browser. blows mobile Safari out of the water.

13. Advil macrumors 6502a

i use beejive and it works well. friendly and mypad support it but it's really buggy/crappy.

14. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

15. miamijim macrumors 6502

Friendly for iPad works fine as my Facebook client.

16. Maaz macrumors 6502a

Atomic browser. Set identify browser as a desktop browser and you get the chat bar when your on the Facebook page.

17. TH3D4RKKN1GH7 macrumors 6502a

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

I have had no problem with Friendly whatsoever.

18. Mrawr macrumors member

I find that it's buggy when you identify Atomic as a desktop browser. The chat bar doesn't stay put like it would on a desktop... Buggy. It's been awhile since I've tried, though. Maybe fixed now?

I'm also a fan of IMO. Seems pretty stable. I've been using it for about a month now with FB chat and Google. Plus, it's free.

19. shandyman Suspended

+1 love beejive, have it on iPad and iPhone, much better than friendly, mypad and those crappy apps that just use the touch site in an app.

20. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

21. Hotherps macrumors newbie

I bought the Friendly PLUS version and it works great !