Facebook "check-in" places all gone in iOS6?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Copefree, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Copefree macrumors member

I went to check-in last night at a bar/restaurant on Facebook and noticed that there "were no places around" when normally a bunch of places pop up.

Also, while golfing this morning I went to check us in at the course and, again, nothing. WTF?

Facebook used to have them all in there.

Is this because of the new Apple maps?!? Super annoying if that is the case.

2. dotme macrumors 6502a

Yep

3. Copefree thread starter macrumors member

Wow that sucks!

So much for all of the millions of places that had been typed in and used regularly by people.

4. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Like most other 3rd party app, Facebook relies on the Apple Map Kit.

With POI missing and many addresses/ maps simply wrong, Facebook (as well as Foursquare, Yelp, and the rest will have missing data.

5. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

And yet another incorrect statement about Maps...FourSquare does not use Apple or even Google Maps for data as clearly stated in the "about" section of the app. They us OpenMapSource for their data.

It is only when you click on the map picture to see other FourSquare sourced pins that Apple Maps will now open.

My old pins showing where I usually check in are still all on there and places I do not regularly visit that are nearby still come up in the list.

And sorry...Facebook is the same way although it will now integrate with Maps data as well....

6. cynics macrumors G3

That's why! Ok I went to check into this dive bar last night I've checked into before and there was nothing around. I didn't look if I could add a place or not. That's just terrible.

7. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Just checked Facebook....every place that was there before is still there. They did not reset the data simply because it is integrated with iOS 6.

Like before, the places are added by either users or are there because the businesses have there address as part of the Facebook database.

8. annetteva macrumors newbie

Husband and I both have iPhone 5. His shows a list of places when he does a Facebook check-in, mine does not (even though we're standing right next to each other). :mad:

9. Copefree thread starter macrumors member

Mine shows *nothing* when I go to check-in.

----------

For example:

[​IMG]

"No nearby places" -- yea, right. I'm in the middle of a city right now. With my previous iPhone 4 and iOS 5 there would be 100+ places showing up.

10. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Just for fun... open Maps, tap on your little dot and then the arrow to get info about your current location. Copy your location, return to the map, and paste that into the search bar.

Ideally, the pin it drops should be right on top of where you are. Is it?

11. tensiondeadache macrumors regular

This thread inspired me to conduct a little experiment. From the Reforma area of Mexico City, I have an iOS 6 iPhone 4S (Apple Maps), a Jelly Bean Nexus 7 tablet (Google Maps), and a Nokia Lumia 610 (Bing Maps). Ok, hang on...

I opened the FB app on all three and went to "check in", the iPhone and Nexus 7 each loaded exactly 20 landmarks (pretty much the same ones save a few), and amazingly, the Lumia 610 loaded about 50! Wow, explain that.

12. annetteva macrumors newbie

It looks like it's a Facebook issue & not specific to Apple devices.
    https://www.facebook.com/help/community/?id=18838

13. Copefree thread starter macrumors member

14. Copefree thread starter macrumors member

UPDATE: this is now fixed on my phone. Works no problem. Glad it's taken care of.