Facebook Contacts Sync

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Troneas, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

hi.

back when ios 6 was released i would get my contacts updated with the facebook pic and other information, but this appears to be no longer the case.

no new contacts are being created (or merged to my contacts) when i add new people to my facebook nor are some of my contacts being sync'ed with facebook.

the contact app is being allowed to use my facebook account under the phone/facebook settings and clicking on the *update all contacts* doesnt solve the problem - in fact, sometimes it links one or two contacts to people whom i dont even have in facebook.

is there a setting i've overlooked? anyone else having this issue? thanks.

2. SprSynJn Guest

3. jcb1981 macrumors newbie

jcb1981

Re: Facebook Contacts Sync

I had the same problem at one point, so what I did was this:

1.) Go to Settings > Facebook > tap on your name > Delete Account > confirm by tapping Delete > Merge Facebook Info (optional) > confirm your choice to merge (you may have to wait for a short period while it merges information)
    2.) Delete the Facebook app from your phone
    3.) Restart your phone (you don't HAVE to do this)
    4.) Re-install the Facebook app from the App Store > open Facebook app > sign in
    5.) Go back to Settings > Facebook > enter your user name and password > tap Sign In > confirm your sign-in > make sure that under "Allow These Apps to Use Your Account" that Contacts is turned on > tap Update All Contacts

I hope this works.

4. Troneas thread starter macrumors 65816

Troneas

this explains it, and it makes sense except that it is really badly implemented because not even the photo is synced on existing iphone contacts.

According to a Facebook spokesperson, friends that have no contact information on their profile other than a @facebook.com email address will not be synced to the Contacts address book going forward.

i understand people not wanting "useless" contacts on their phone but what they should have done instead is only sync contacts you've already created on your phone - instead of creating tens or hundreds useless ones in the first place.

thanks for the heads up.

----------

tried it, thanks. but it doesnt really solve the issue as it is apparently a "feature" now - a badly implemented one at that as outlined above.

5. jcb1981 macrumors newbie

jcb1981