facebook contacts

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by frunkis54, Aug 25, 2012.

1. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

I just noticed something weird. I was looking at my contacts and I have a few that I only have phone numbers for no email or other info. I have my facebook contacts synced but I have 3 contacts im not friends with on facebook but it added a facebook link in their contact that goes right to their profile.

2. Luddicus macrumors newbie

Luddicus

The facebook integration functionality is syncing your existing contacts by matching the names of your friends on facebook and in your Contacts app. Then it adds the necessary information to the contact card.

3. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

Rather than start a new thread, I have a question about the Facebook integration in iOS 6 please.

I'm currently on iOS 5.1.1, once I've installed iOS 6, I take it that the Facebook syncing options by default are set to off?

The reason I ask is that I personally do not want anything synced between Facebook and the contacts/calendars on my phone.

Thank you.

4. frunkis54 thread starter macrumors 65816

frunkis54

If I remember correctly its automatically set to sync when you add your user name and password in settings. But you can turn it off and no contacts will be added.

5. KeanosMagicHat, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2012

KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

Thank you.

I take it that the integrated iOS 6 Facebook will not grab my username & password information from the Facebook app that I currently have installed and that it will require completely separate entry within the general settings section?

If it does automatically grab the information & the sync feature is on by default, then I guess I will have to remove the Facebook app prior to making the leap to iOS 6?

Has anyone experienced this during the beta process please?

6. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

It does not log you in if you simply have the app on your phone. You have to manually go to the Facebook option under Settings and enter your information to activate OS-wide Facebook integration.

7. ianrip macrumors 6502

ianrip

work:Oyu Tolgio, Home:LOS, From Scotland G15
    The facebook log in is similar to the twitter integrated setting in ios5, you'll need to go to the MAIN settings to log into the facebook, if you use the facebook app only, it will NOT sync your contacts

8. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

Excellent, cheers.

At least it won't go blitzing away syncing everything in sight then. Whilst I do like the idea of being able to choose from directly different applications whether I want to post to Facebook, I do not like the contact/calendar syncing aspect at all.

-----

Thanks also to ianrip who replied as I was dictating the above.

9. kevo0822 macrumors regular

Ok so I'm a little confused... If I turn on Facebook integration and it does the contact sync, is it going to add all my Facebook friends to my Contacts? I've had friends with Android phones that have had all their Facebook friends synced to their phone and that just seems pretty excessive. I definitely don't want all my Facebook friends added to my contacts...

Also, is it possible to enable Facebook integration but specifically disable contact sync? Thanks!

10. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

No it will only add Facebook details to the contacts stored on your phone, it will not add your FB friends to your contact list. You can disable the Contact integration.

11. outphase macrumors 65816

You can disable Contacts access from Settings.app in the Facebook area. When it adds your contacts via Facebook, it actually creates a new group labeled as Facebook contacts, so it's not directly integrated to existing contacts like iCloud.

I synced it to see what it was like. Then, I realized anyone who I didn't already have contact info for was extraneous, so I disabled Contacts access. All FB-only contacts were removed.

12. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

It does actually add all the details from FB to your iCloud contacts. I've just checked the 'Facebook' contacts group and it shows ALL my FB friend in my contacts list. When I disable it, my iCloud contacts only show but the FB details are still there.

13. kevo0822 macrumors regular

14. frunkis54 thread starter macrumors 65816

frunkis54

15. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Yes it will add ALL your FB friends, but they are not shown by default, you have to either tap 'Show All Contacts' or 'All Facebook' under Groups in the Contacts App for them to show.

16. frunkis54 thread starter macrumors 65816

frunkis54

thats what i said it will show all if you choose to sync facebook contacts. you can always uncheck in groups on not sync them at all.

17. SuperRob macrumors regular

This isn't true. I have a new Contacts group called Facebook that has ALL of my 500+ Facebook friends in it. (I had to hide that group, it was shown by default.)

However, iOS is smart and will show a "Unified" view of your contacts, where it merges their data from Facebook in the view. It does not MODIFY any existing contact, just shows you all the data together.

18. bushido Suspended

bushido

i had to disable it again because barely anyone i know uses their real/complete name on facebook so i had lots of people twice in contacts now. i wish there was an option to manually "merge" contacts

19. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

I agree, I wish I could enjoy the iOS integrated features of posting things to Facebook without having anything to do with my contacts on the iPhone.

It's all or nothing at the moment it seems, whereas this should be a separate option.

20. liquidsuns macrumors 6502

You can. Edit the contact and at the bottom it will have an option to link contacts together. You can also choose which name to show.

21. bushido Suspended

bushido

oooh awesome. ive tried it from my mac and it didnt work