Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After copying Snapchat inside of Instagram with last year's "Instagram Stories" update, Business Insider today learned that Facebook is gearing up to launch the exact same feature in its mainline Facebook mobile app. Now called "Facebook Stories," the social media company is bringing over the same circular user interface to its main app for users in a small test in Ireland, letting them post images and videos that automatically disappear after 24 hours.

Facebook Stories appear at the top of the Facebook app, similar to where Instagram Stories have received top billing in the photo-sharing app. The new feature is said to work "identically" to Instagram's update, so users can snap a picture or video, edit it with a few filter and sticker options, and friends can tap through each post within the day it gets posted.

facebook-stories-800x500.jpg

Facebook has been focusing on its photo and video features in its iOS app for a while now, with CEO Mark Zuckerberg last year saying that the company plans to launch a camera-first experience that changes status updates from simple written posts to dynamic photos and videos. Through selfie filter tests, holiday updates, and live-streaming add-ons, the company has already begun to make progress towards launching a fully-featured, photo-centric update to the main Facebook app.

After directly becoming a competitor to Snapchat with Instagram Stories, Instagram reported the gain of 100 million users in the second half of 2016. For now, Facebook Stories remains a test of its own in Ireland, but the "new format" will be arriving in more countries in the coming months, according to a Facebook spokesperson.

Article Link: Facebook Continues Copying Snapchat by Testing Out 'Stories' Update in Ireland

dobsiin

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2013
i really enjoyed snapchat, and still do, i really hated it when instagram stories was released, and also the new facebook messenger app complete knock off. i don't need those stories friggin everywhere.

Reactions: HappyDude20

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Facebook messengers attempt st copying Snapchat sucks. I never use it and don't know anyone that uses it.

SnapChat on he other hand is still more fun to use on a daily basis and see a ton of my Facebook friends sending me snapchats back and forth daily. Not including on Snapchat usually at least 10 friends a day use the my story feature.

Snapchat is fun. Facebook is... forcing hawaiian natives off their land.

Reactions: dobsiin

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
Samesung gets a lot of slack, but honestly Facebook rips off it's competitors features and then uses the prebuilt network to push them. One of the few times I can think it wasn't successful was Poke and even then, then continue to harvest the company's other products with extreme success :)

Reactions: philosoraptor1

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
This is going to be great for people who love to post fake news. Now nobody will be accountable because it will just disappear after a day! This is the future we are building for ourselves.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Facebook, Google, Samsung

What do these companies have in common?
Success despite certain Apple fans wanting them to fail? :)
[doublepost=1485368022][/doublepost]
This is going to be great for people who love to post fake news. Now nobody will be accountable because it will just disappear after a day! This is the future we are building for ourselves.
Fake news? There is no such thing. There are only alternative facts.:rolleyes:

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Success despite certain Apple fans wanting them to fail? :)
[doublepost=1485368022][/doublepost]
Fake news? There is no such thing. There are only alternative facts.:rolleyes:
Yeah, and I mean really—an alternative fact is just a fact that people don't like. All facts are up for debate, unless it's a climate fact, in which case you're gag ordered from ever talking about it. I'm getting word of a new fact just coming in: there is no gag order. I was mistaken. Also, Supreme Leader has the biggest crowds ever, so YUGE you could barely fit anyone so most people stayed home. There was a massive blizzard on Inauguration Day which didn't help. Probably global cooling which is becoming a problem. I can't wait to post this to my story.

Reactions: 69Mustang

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Yeah, and I mean really—an alternative fact is just a fact that people don't like. All facts are up for debate, unless it's a climate fact, in which case you're gag ordered from ever talking about it. I'm getting word of a new fact just coming in: there is no gag order. I was mistaken. Also, Supreme Leader has the biggest crowds ever, so YUGE you could barely fit anyone so most people stayed home. There was a massive blizzard on Inauguration Day which didn't help. Probably global cooling which is becoming a problem. I can't wait to post this to my story.
Facts are up for debate... then you will love this. It's a long read, but worth it.
http://gizmodo.com/i-watched-neil-degrasse-tyson-take-on-a-science-skeptic-1791380377

v0lume4

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2012
Facebook and Instagram are nearly becoming the same app. Before long we will be able to post text-only statuses to Instagram. And we will all have a wall that our friends can post to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.