Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petekjohnson

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2012
Springfield, MO
For a long time now, I have used Safari Technology Preview as my main browser. This continued when I first started playing around with Big Sur. But then I started having a vert weird problem: IMAGES simply would not load - at all - on www.facebook.com. This initially seemed random, and regular Safari would work, but then they both stopped working. Meanwhile, images loaded A-OK in every other page I loaded. It seemed to be strictly a Facebook problem, except that it didn't happen at all when looking at Facebook AT THE SAME TIME using another browser such as Chrome. I spent way too much time trying to flush out what I thought might be bad parts of the Safari/STP Library folders (caches, etc) trying to see if that would solve the problem, but it didn't. Strangely, if I logged in as root or Guest, Facebook worked just fine in both browsers. So it was something SPECIFIC to my user account. So, I renamed my user folder so that a brand new one would get created upon login, with the intention of either (1) diagnosing what the problem was so I could fix it under my old user account folder, or (2) if the problem went away but couldn't diagnose the cause of it, then I would just migrate my data into my new user folder. At first this worked, as both Safari and Safari Technology Preview seemed to be working on Facebook just fine. But eventually that stopped again. Right now Safari works fine, but Safari Technology Preview does not. This is WITHOUT altering any of the Developer/Experimental features in either browser. And mind you, images continue loading just fine on ALL OTHER SITES and in ALL OTHER BROWSERS.

I know, I know, my first problem is using Facebook in the first place, but it is what it is.

Has anyone else experienced such a weird phenomenon?

I have attached a screenshot and hopefully cropped it enough to remove any personally identifying information.

I'm fine using plain old Safari at the moment but its just one of those things where you have a glitch and you can't fix it no matter what you try that eats at you and eats at you no matter how frivolous it seems.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 9.17.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 9.17.15 PM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 58
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.