Facebook dissertation help!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bushra, Jul 28, 2010.

1. bushra macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Your input on the following survey will be invaluable for the research study I am conducting, which aims at investigating Facebook users’ awareness of privacy issues and perceived benefits and risks of utilizing Facebook. I encourage you to share this survey link with your friends that use Facebook.

Please take the time to complete every question. I sincerely appreciate the time you are taking to do this, and it will yield more productive results. Every answer you give in detail will be important for my analysis.

http://www.surveymethods.com/EndUser.aspx?E4C0ACB6E4A0B5B5E5

Thank you for completing my survey.
    ;)

2. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I completed it, although I don't use Facebook very much.

4. bushra thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Skengman macrumors member

Skengman

I don't mean to be cynical, but isn't this survey asking for quite a lot of personal information?

Surely my name, age, gender, email address and place of residence is a lot to ask on a survey about privacy?

I completed it, but I didn't fill out the first 5 questions 100% truthfully. I didn't deviate too far from the truth though, to try to keep the results valid.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sorry dude, I was all set to fill it in, until it asked for my name, age and email address. I'm not sure why you need an email address for a survey/statistical analysis. I don't give those things out freely.

7. ethical macrumors 68000

I agree. Age and gender are ok, obviously they can be used to compare between groups of people....but name and email address are unnecessary.

8. kolax macrumors G3

Only three pieces of information you should have asked from me were:

Age, Country and Gender.

9. nastebu macrumors 6502

some questions

I understand not wanting to give name and email, but it's a perfectly legit request if the op is really going to use this in a dissertation. Anonymous online surveys are not usable in any serious research.

On the other hand, Bushra, I don't see any IRB information. I'm not comfortable filling it out either without comments about the privacy of the data you're collecting, a statement as to how the data will be used, that kind of basic irb stuff.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I understand that you might need email for verification purposes but no, you're not having that.

11. bushra thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys for replaying. Well, if you don't feel comfort about giving out your name, email and age, you can write instead "private".

12. kolax macrumors G3

Just completed it.

Few tips: wording of the questions wasn't always that great. Also, you should have a "maybe" or "don't know" option to get more correct data. Making folk choose yes or no doesn't always get the most accurate statistics. A few of the questions, I'd have chosen "don't know" or "maybe" because it isn't something I had really considered.