Facebook event to Google calendar to Wordpress

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Tilpots, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

I have two Facebook pages, one for myself and one for my hobby. My hobby is posting on a website running wordpress. (though I'm not very good at the "website running" stuff, the content is my thing). Friends on my personal FB share and invite me to events. I want to take these events and ultimately get them to my wordpress site with the least amount of work possible. Help!

Currently, I add events to a google calendar and use an iframe to embed the calendar in the wordpress site. I have no good way to add the Facebook events without manually moving the info myself. I used time.ly's plugin for awhile with subscribed calendars, but it did not perform very well, probably due to my short comings on the programming side.

Ideally, I want to take the url of the Facebook event, paste it somewhere, and have it automagically appear on my site. Is this possible?

2. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

3. 960design macrumors 68020

Without knowing anything about your workflow, here's my 'throw it at the wall and hope something sticks' solution:
    WordPress -> The Events Calendar
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/the-events-calendar/screenshots/

Then check up on the plugins, if I remember correctly there is a FaceBook plugin that should do what you are looking to do.

4. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

Thanks for the reply. I'm hesitant to use something like this due to my poor experience with time.ly and the Facebook portion of the plugin costing money.

Curious, what part of my workflow would aid your response? I'd be happy to give it.

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Seems like you could add a subscription to your Facebook calendar at Google and then copy the events you want to show on the Google calendar to the Google calendar that's on your Wordpress site.

Not entirely sure if the copied version gets updated if the event is updated.

6. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

So... I found that events you are invited to on Facebook can be added for display on your GCal, but not events you are interested in or even mark that you are attending. Ugh. Making an easy thing a mess....