Facebook group for ppc users

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jdasikainen, Apr 10, 2016.

1. jdasikainen macrumors 6502

jdasikainen

i recently started a facebok group for ppc macs and all macs in general but figured id post a link here good way for us all to get in more deep contact and to share interesting things related to macs I do not know if this kind of post is allowed if it is someone who can please remove. but anyways heres the linkhttps://www.facebook.com/groups/938763772859203/

2. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Good concept, but I don't know if I want to use my Facebook, with a lot of private info, to talk to people I don't really know. I've been running a private and invite-only Slack group chat for two years now. We invite forum members who have been well established in this community and that the members of our group find trustworthy or knowledgeable in a certain area. We have 27 members with about 15 of those being active and about 10 on all the time.

I'm not saying no one will join yours, but I personally don't feel comfortable sharing that amount of info with random internet people.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It's a Facebook group, not a series of friend requests. Facebook group admins have no access to your private data and unless the admin is actually a FB friend of yours they can't access anything beyond what you've made public.

Just saying. ;)

PS… https://www.facebook.com/MacBinary/?fref=ts

4. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

It's not a bad idea. I don't mind joining, but isn't Facebook a struggle on PPC. I know most of you will be like "use an iPhone or modern computer" but whenever I look up/go on PPC related things it's usually when I'm using a PPC.

And if you don't know always iOS Facebook kills your battery. Even idle.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Facebook.

Fluid app or TenFourBox app. Either way, real easy, works well.

6. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

My apologies then, I have completely misunderstood FB groups then LOL

7. Daniël Oosterhuis macrumors 6502a

Daniël Oosterhuis

To be honest, I think this group is a little redundant. There's already the Low End Mac group, as well as the Apple Macintosh Enthusiasts group. Both those groups have a vast amount of users, and quite a few PPC Mac users as well. There's also the more secluded Slack group, as well as several forums such as this one, where PPC users talk PPC. I think another Mac group is just going to fall on deaf ears. And, since I'm already in enough groups as it is, I'm going to be honest and say I'm going to skip this one.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The first two groups you name I'm not a part of. When it comes to the Slack group, I cannot afford to be in an IM chat 24/7 (**cough** @LightBulbFun **cough**). None of my work duties or anything else would get done if I was there all the time.

That said, forums and slack are different than Facebook. So, I joined this group because I already have a presence on Facebook.

Different things for everyone.

9. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Well another thing to add is my Slack is not open invite. At this time, it would be way too hard to manage and moderate it, and we like having it be a closely knit group. As proven by my defunct AIM chat, it was hard to bounce back and forth between both since they had different members.

10. Daniël Oosterhuis macrumors 6502a

Daniël Oosterhuis

The first two groups I mentioned are Facebook groups.

11. eyoungren, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Ah, ok, I assumed they were groups at their respective websites. Sorry for the misunderstanding.