Facebook hacked...need advice? :(

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by animechick, May 17, 2013.

1. animechick macrumors newbie

hey guys. ive been a long time lurker but i figured id register today to see if i could get some help or advice. i made a facebook a year or two ago and stopped using it about 6 months ago. i didnt deactivate the account or anything. i tried logging in today and it said my password was wrong. i knew i didnt change it and tried it again...still came back with an error. so i try to reset my password with the forgot password link. it doesnt display my email. from there i logged into the email account i made the facebook account with and it turns out someone changed my email address and password on march 18th.

i tried using the "i didnt make this change" link in the email but it expired since this happened 2 months ago. i went to facebook.com/hacked and tried to reset my password there, but every time i logged in with my email to reset the password, it kept saying the code was entered wrong too many times and to try again later. i tried again today and it wont even let me search my account with my email address anymore. i typed in the hackers email address and the account came up but i no longer had the option to reset it with my email address.

i have the hackers approx location and email address from the notification facebook sent me. its a gmail address with their first and last name. on google, i was able to search the persons first and last name along with their location and i found their twitter.

is there anything i can do to get control of my account again? i have looked in to contacting facebook but they are apparently not available by phone or email. im absolutely freaking out right now knowing that someone has access to all my stuff. does anyone know a way for me to get this fixed?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Ask a friend who was your Facebook friend to see if they can check out whether or not someone is posting as you. Email Facebook and tell them.

3. animechick thread starter macrumors newbie

justperry, i came across that link earlier today and it didn't help. i tried reporting the problem and got nowhere; the other option was to submit feedback which practically guarantees it will fall through the cracks.

jessica, i did have a friend check my profile and no one has posted spam or anything else pretending to be me. i would contact facebook but i have not found any way to contact them directly on their "help" center. i only found ways to report the account as hacked (which did nothing) or leave them feedback.

4. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

There is a phone number in the link, you could try to call them.

5. animechick thread starter macrumors newbie

i tried that number but wasnt able to actually talk to someone. i also read about others calling the same number not being able to talk to an actual person, so apparently facebook doesnt want to deal with the people who use their service at all.

is there anything i can do with the hackers full name, email address and location?

6. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Actually I think you can, if the person which hacked your account lives in the same country and you can prove it somehow (hacking) you could go to the police, it is illegal to hack into someones "live" online.

7. animechick thread starter macrumors newbie

would it be wise to threaten going to the police with this via email to attempt to get the account back on my own?

8. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

I know it's a bit of a pain and I am not sure the police will help, but it is illegal so if you have enough proof they could/should do something about it.
    In a way I find it ridiculous Facebook does not have an easy way to report such issues.
    Actually, I hate Facebook for it's policies, had a account years ago because a girl asked me to open one, I never used it and canceled it later on.

9. animechick thread starter macrumors newbie

id really rather not bring the police into this matter because i think itll waste a lot of time. im going to try and email this guy and hopefully i can convince him to give my account back to me, othewise i will use the police as a last ditch effort.

i also agree that is is ridiculous that facebook does not have any way to contact someone from their company to report an issue like this. this is a blatant invasion of my privacy and you would think for a company that claims to take security so seriously that they would at least have a phone number or email address to a department that handles stuff like this accordingly.

10. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Good idea, threaten him could make him give up the control of your account, on the other hand he could try to wipe his traces.

11. animechick thread starter macrumors newbie

i hope it was a good idea. as far as i know facebook keeps track of the devices and locations where all accounts are used, so i dont think there would be a way for him to destroy that evidence. in the email they sent me, i was given his email address with his full name, his operating system and web browser of choice, all of which is also recorded in the account security settings.

i was also given an IP address in the email but it wasn't numerical, i havent ever seen one like it before. it had numbers and letters separated by colons. is there a way to turn that into his IP address? should this go to law enforcement it is my understanding that his ISP can be subpoenaed to turn over the account holder that that specific IP address belongs to.

12. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

That number is not an IP number, it is the device MAC number, not like Mac as in Apple but as in Media Access Control address, this is a hardware ID and it can't be changed.
    It is Hexadecimal, example "AA:11:4F:9C:43:CB:42:22

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address

It is even better than a IP number, IP numbers can change, a MAC address doesn't but you can spoof this MAC address although most people don't know this.

Edit: Maybe there is another way although also not easy, you do have the ISP provider, you could try to write to the Admin of this ISP and give all the evidence, or write to the offender and tell you got all his data.

13. animechick thread starter macrumors newbie

its been over a day and the hacker hasnt responded to my email. im pretty sure its his personal email address being that it had his first and last name in it. is there a way to find out if he just ignored it?

does anyone know of any other solutions before going to law enforcement?

14. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

It's weekend, you know, maybe is is out, just wait a couple of days.

15. animechick thread starter macrumors newbie

i hadnt thought about that. hopefully he hasnt ignored it. im just being impatient...i mean the thought of some creep being able to see all my messages to friends, all my information, the city i live in...its just making me sick

16. kolax macrumors G3

Privacy and Facebook don't mix.

I'd be looking into how this person got a hold of my account. Do you use the same password for everything? Is it really simple?

17. animechick thread starter macrumors newbie

i dont use the same password for everything but yes, it was pretty simple. but its a random word that the hacker could have never guessed from online stalking me or something, so i think he might have gone around facebooks password reset area.

i dont think he brute forced it because that would require some intelligence and this moron used his personal email address to take control of my account. i found his twitter account and his name and location match the information facebook sent me. i would have sent a tweet to him but he hasnt used twitter since february.

whats really upsetting is that there is no way to talk to someone at facebook to fix the issue leaving me no other option but to go to law enforcement, which im really thinking will be a dead end and a waste of time.