Facebook HTTPS Create a Page Not Loading

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AgentDuk, Sep 22, 2009.

1. AgentDuk macrumors newbie

If you look at the PDF attachment, it will show you what pops up when I try to create a page on Facebook. It is getting frustrating because the part where you need to "type in the words that appear in the box" never loads. And, since it doesn't render correctly, it is impossible to know where to go next with it. This also happens for basically all other HTTPS pages as well. When I try to load my settings, for example, on Facebook, it does the same kind of thing. And also, when I try to do WordPress sometimes, it doesn't work.

Please help, as I have been trying to create this page for a few months now, and don't want to wait any longer to do it! Thanks so much! :)

~AgentDuk :apple:
    EDIT: 9-22-09 10:25 PM: I took off the "virus" PDF attachment and will try to get a working screenshot up tomorrow. Sorry for any inconveniences.
    EDIT: 9-23-09 9:16 PM: Download both PDF attachments, then, in Finder, rename it to help1.tiff and help2.tiff (respectively) for each attachment. Then open with Preview. Hope it works!
    EDIT: 9-24-09 9:02 PM: 3rd attachment added. Same drill with changing it to a .tiff extension after downloading it in PDF form. Contains Developer>Show Error Console. Elements opened, opened all other tabs as well (scripts, etc.) and they all showed the same report. Hopefully you can put two and two together better than I can! :)

Attached Files:

2. mac2x macrumors 65816

WTF? The pdf doesn't work, and I can't trash it because it is "in use".

3. AgentDuk thread starter macrumors newbie

OMFG did you try quitting Preview and then trashing it? D*** I'm so sorry... That just happened to me as well... I used Grab to take the pic and when I tried to upload it, it said "not recognized". So I made it JPEG and the PDF, and only PDF uploaded correctly. Right now, when I clicked ok the attachment as well, it did the same thing to me... Dang I'm so sorry... I'll try again tomorrow.

4. mac2x macrumors 65816

Preview wouldn't even open it, neither would quicklook. I quit Preview of course, but I had to go through the command line to get rid of it. That's OK then...I was worried it was some kind of crapware or something. ;)

5. AgentDuk thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay good. Yeah no spyware or viruses get through the Mac's hard-wired defenses! Sorry I obviously didn't mean for it to send a "virus" into your (or anyone else who downloaded the picture's) computer. I'll take it down tomorrow, in the meantime, please don't open it as it may as well be a virus. Sorry and I'll fix it tomorrow ASAP.

6. mac2x macrumors 65816

Okey-dokey then. I highly doubt it could have a virus. Trojans are a more real risk though for OS X. Probably none of that in a pdf file anyway, but better safe than sorry I guess. BTW, Preview simply said the file was corrupted.

7. AgentDuk thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay. Again I apologize and thanks again for your interest in helping me with this issue. I'll try to get a working attachment up tomorrow. Thanks again and also sorry again!

8. mac2x macrumors 65816

Thanks! :)

I've never had any https problems myself, so this could be a learning experience for me too. I might do a little research tonight. ;)

9. AgentDuk thread starter macrumors newbie

10. mac2x macrumors 65816

OK, that works. Weird how you had to do all that gymnastics to get it to work...

First thing I would do is open the Safari Activity window (Window > Activity) and post a screenshot of what that window reports when you try to do whatever you want to do with FB. FWIW, I've had non encrypted pages do this before; in fact I believe it was YouTube that did it. I guess the html didn't render properly for some reason.

[edit] If you are familar with Safari's Develop menu (turn it on in the Advanced preference pane), you can get a full error console.

11. mac2x macrumors 65816

Of all things..YouTube just did this very thing to me! The homepage wouldn't load and wouldn't load, and all of a sudden it came up looking very similar to that Facebook screenshot! I didn't get a snap, but this message appeared in the Error console's Resources tab:

Code:
    Resource interpreted as other but transferred with MIME type application/x-javascript.

12. AgentDuk thread starter macrumors newbie

Will do. Have to go to school first...haha

13. AgentDuk thread starter macrumors newbie

So...?

So... do you have any ideas? I'll post the Activity window soon! :confused: (except for the frowning part of that face, just picture it as a smile haha :))

14. mac2x macrumors 65816

Well, that certainly sheds some light. Seems to be an SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) error. Do you think you can capture the window again and get the rest of those SSL errors? They are cut off somewhat. SSL errors can result from a bad certificate, but can't tell what this one might be till I can see the rest of them...

Also activate Safari's Develop menu (Preferences > Advanced) and activate the error console and see what it shows when you [try to] load the page.

15. AgentDuk thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay here's the developer thingy...

It wouldn't let me add a third attachment to the main post :eek:! Anyway, hopefully this will work ;)!

Attached Files:

16. mac2x macrumors 65816

I'm not very knowledgeable in HTML, so a lot of that doesn't mean much to me. :eek: Sorry!

Obviously, that's not what showed up when I got that error on youtube. :confused:

Could you get a better snap of the activity window, that shows the entire SSL error? One might be able to identify the source by searching the web for the specific error.

17. AgentDuk thread starter macrumors newbie

I can try again tomorrow to get a better snap, but no promises as I tried to expand the Activity window sideways before and I couldn't... So I'll try again but sorry... :eek:

And yeah, that's a good idea to search on the Internet :)

EDIT: 9-24-09 10:34 PM: haha and don't worry: I don't know the first thing about HTML either, hopefully we're not alone :) haha

18. mac2x macrumors 65816

Haha, thanks. What little I do know lies in the realm of C/C++/Objective-C programming. Hopefully someone can help us figure this out...or an internet search will possibly turn something up. ;)