Facebook IM in iChat?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Benjamindaines, May 27, 2008.

1. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

How can I use iChat to connect to Facebook IM via jabber? Adium supports this by default and Facebook's press release says that you will be able to connect via Jabber, so naturally I assume Adium is using Jabber. Am I correct in assuming I can do this with iChat too?

--Thanks.

2. m1ss1ontomars macrumors 6502

Can't yet. Watch the news page (http://www.facebook.com/news.php) for further info.

Also, Adium doesn't support Facebook IM yet, unless you're using a nightly of 1.3, in which case it's certainly not default, is it?

3. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I am using a 1.3 nightly; the facebook account option is standard, you add it just like anyother account and it works perfectly (including pulling status and profile pictures.. Which makes me think that its not hacked and therefor a way to get it in iChat)

But thanks for that link.

4. m1ss1ontomars macrumors 6502

Well, what makes you think it's not hacked? AIM, Yahoo, and MSN are all hacked and they behave the same way.

http://coderrr.wordpress.com/2008/05/06/facebook-chat-api/

That's an explanation from the guy who reverse engineered it.

5. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I thought they were using official APIs. Thanks again. So I'm pretty sure there's no way to use his hacking in iChat, correct?

6. ravikc Guest

you are using adium 1.3?

it states that adium 1.3 will support facebook IM but from my knowledge it hasnt been released yet?

7. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

beta.adiumx.com

8. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Facebook changed their protocol again, btw, so it won't be working until b4 is out.

9. ravikc Guest

gotcha - looks like ill wait for an official rls

10. l008com macrumors member

So I wonder what the hell is taking so long? They announced the feature in march and its almost august. What could possibly be the holdup?

11. m1ss1ontomars macrumors 6502

Duh, so they can make more advertising money. If they let anyone connect to Facebook chat without visiting Facebook, then plenty of people will spend less time on Facebook and thus see fewer ads. And I'm guessing that not enough people are actively complaining, so they don't have much reason to get it done.

12. l008com macrumors member

I disagree, I think that jabber support will help make facebook even more popular. I think more people being online more often, with updates in their buddy list, will drive people to facebook's website all day long. And facebook chat could actually challenge AIM i think as the defacto IM service.

13. m1ss1ontomars macrumors 6502

I didn't say Facebook in general would be less popular, but it's undeniable that part of the reason some people keep staying on Facebook is to use Facebook Chat. I rarely visit Facebook since I started using Facebook Chat in Adium. Even status updates can be shown right from within Adium, so I really have no reason to visit Facebook more than once a day (to check for birthdays). There's no reason that, once updates are received via Jabber, anyone would actually still go to Facebook when they could just IM the person from the comfort of their IM client.

What would you be able to do only by visiting Facebook that you wouldn't be able to do from within a Jabber client? Only check the news feed, and not everyone who currently visits Facebook cares about the news feed. With those people not visiting, Facebook's ad revenue will go down. It's quite simple.

Anyway, why don't you write them an email, if you're so concerned about it? Here's their contact info from their original blog post.

14. grant6923 macrumors newbie

15. l008com macrumors member

No, but i'm over it now anyway. Now that most people have turned off facebook chat.

16. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Probably isn't going to happen.

17. ewulls01 macrumors newbie

18. epyfa macrumors regular

Don't know what this is all about, but my Adium works perfectly fine with Facebook.

19. jashsayani macrumors regular

jashsayani

Any update to this ?

Is there an iChat plug-in or something that adds Facebook chat to iChat ??

Thanks.

20. jareddigby macrumors newbie

1.3 been out they are working on 1.4

21. devburke Guest

Yeah, this is an old thread.

As for Facebook Chat using Jabber like they promised a year and a half ago, I think they’re not gonna deliver on that one. [URL="http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=11586172524”]This Facebook group[/URL] is somewhat of a petition, but it hasn’t done any good.

Lame Facebook devs, lame. It would be bad enough just keeping your little chat world closed, but promising to open it up and never doing so is just mean.

22. justinfreid macrumors 6502

justinfreid

Better late than never...

Facebook has officially added Jabber support so you can use Facebook chat with iChat (among other instant messaging clients):
    http://www.facebook.com/sitetour/chat.php

You can add your Facebook friend's Facebook chat Jabber IDs to Address Book so you can see their status in OS X, too.

23. Aniday macrumors regular

Awesome. Works nice for me. Thanks for posting this.

24. justinfreid macrumors 6502

justinfreid

You're welcome. Feel free to friend me, ha.

25. AJasken macrumors newbie

I've followed the steps to a T and can't get it to work. iChat keeps telling me that my Facebook password isn't correct even though it is. Anyone have this problem? Any fix?

-Thanks