Facebook Integration Questions, coming from Android

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by robjulo, Oct 16, 2011.

1. robjulo macrumors 6502a

Coming from an EVO and have a couple of questions.

First, is there a way to get my Facebook directory into my iPhone. On my EVO, within contacts, there was also an "online directory" wherein all of my Facebook contacts were synchronized to Facebook. So if I needed to contact someone I didn't have in my contacts list, I could still find their number if they were a Facebook friend without having my contacts page inundated with several hundred people. Does the iPhone have something similar. Or, in the alternative, is there a way to Sync the Facebook contacts with iPhone. The "sync" in the Facebook App only syncs those who are already a contact on my phone. It does not import the rest of my Facebook friends.

Second, the integration with photos to Facebook seems very poor. In Android, within my photo gallery, I can share a photo via several means, including Facebook, Flickr, Twitter, and a few others with the click of a button. The iPhone offers basically Twitter and that is it, forcing me to use the Facebook App. Am I missing something?

Third, is there a way to get my Facebook events onto my calendar. In my EVO, it was automatic, if someone had a birthday tomorrow, that would be on my calendar.

2. lanspawlo macrumors newbie

There's an app called MyPhone+. I think it costs about 99 cents.

3. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

The Facebook app does this for you, but it's off by default. It's not the most easy to find option in the new app though.

1. Open Facebook
    2. Login (obviously)
    3. Hit the little button in the top left corner to bring up the menu
    4. Hit "Friends"
    5. Hit the little arrow out of box button in the top right corner
    6. Hit "Sync Contacts"
    7. Turn "Syncing" on
    8. Wait. A lot of people skip this step, and then complain it didn't work. There should be a progress bar though, not sure how it works in the newest version.

4. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

will this add every fb friend to my contacts list or does it just sync with fb friends who are already in my contacts list?

5. robjulo thread starter macrumors 6502a

From what I can gather, it only syncs contacts with those who are already in your contacts list. Not near as good as the Android implementation.

It also appears to be very flakey as far as linking the pictures. I've done the sync, the contact photos initially show. Then some of them disappear. The only way to get them back as to re-sync.

New to IOS and for the most part, I like IOS a lot, but the Facebook integration leaves a lot to be desired.

6. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

I prefer it that way. I don't want people I'll never email or call cluttering up my contact list. But do want to keep the people's info and pics in my contact list up to date with what they do on FB.

7. robjulo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Android has the best solution. The Facebook contacts are not part of your contacts unless you want them to be. However, it also keeps a separate directory of just your Facebook contacts so you can quickly look those people up as well with the push of a button.

I wish the IOS integration was more like that.