Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VelvetElegance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I drive an Acura TL that comes with a feature that allows me to pair my iPhone to the cars navigation system and use a handsfree system. I've been driving Acuras with this same feature since the first iPhone came out. The problem that I am having seems to be limited only to the iPhone 5 and I'm not sure if the problem is with my phone or the newer model car that I am driving. Basically, I went to pair my phone and everything was fine but I noticed that all my facebook contacts also synced. This is new behavior. My iPhone 4 synced to this same car last week with no facebook contacts. I am thinking my problem resides in the newer facebook integration with the iPhone 5. Is there any way to completely disable this feature? I really don't need all those contacts in my contacts either on my phone or in my car.

I went under settings=>facebook and turned facebook off, but that didn't work. I also tried deleting the facebook app from the phone altogether. No luck there either. I notice now in the Contacts app, there is a Groups menu. This is new, right. I unchecked facebook and still no luck. I am at a loss. Sure, this may be a first world problem, but it sure is annoying. If anybody who has an iPhone 5 and drives a 2012 or newer Acura can provide any insight into this, I would sure appreciate it. Or if there is some way to disable the facebook integration, that'd be cool too.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
I drive an Acura TL that comes with a feature that allows me to pair my iPhone to the cars navigation system and use a handsfree system. I've been driving Acuras with this same feature since the first iPhone came out. The problem that I am having seems to be limited only to the iPhone 5 and I'm not sure if the problem is with my phone or the newer model car that I am driving. Basically, I went to pair my phone and everything was fine but I noticed that all my facebook contacts also synced. This is new behavior. My iPhone 4 synced to this same car last week with no facebook contacts. I am thinking my problem resides in the newer facebook integration with the iPhone 5. Is there any way to completely disable this feature? I really don't need all those contacts in my contacts either on my phone or in my car.

I went under settings=>facebook and turned facebook off, but that didn't work. I also tried deleting the facebook app from the phone altogether. No luck there either. I notice now in the Contacts app, there is a Groups menu. This is new, right. I unchecked facebook and still no luck. I am at a loss. Sure, this may be a first world problem, but it sure is annoying. If anybody who has an iPhone 5 and drives a 2012 or newer Acura can provide any insight into this, I would sure appreciate it. Or if there is some way to disable the facebook integration, that'd be cool too.

Go into settings and scroll down to the FB app. Right there will be toggle switches to turn off contacts and calendars.

----------

U say u turned FB off. What does that mean? If u turn off just contacts, it should not sync them. It worked with both my iPad3 and iPhone5. It also gave you the option to turn off contacts when u first signed into FB integration.

VelvetElegance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Go into settings and scroll down to the FB app. Right there will be toggle switches to turn off contacts and calendars.

----------

U say u turned FB off. What does that mean? If u turn off just contacts, it should not sync them. It worked with both my iPad3 and iPhone5. It also gave you the option to turn off contacts when u first signed into FB integration.

Unfortunately, I've tried that with no luck. I turned it of and resynced and still all the facebook contacts imported. I don't remember being asked to turn off contacts when I first signed in. I'm assuming Settings is the only place this is addressed, no?

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Unfortunately, I've tried that with no luck. I turned it of and resynced and still all the facebook contacts imported. I don't remember being asked to turn off contacts when I first signed in. I'm assuming Settings is the only place this is addressed, no?

Yeah, I think settings is the only place. But flipping that contacts toggle should take care of it. It's worked flawlessly on all my ios6 devices. Maybe it's your Acura causing it to override that function. Did you check to see with the toggle off, if your FB contacts are showing up in your contacts on your phone? If so, it's obviously a problem, and I can't answer it.

And BTW, yes, you were asked when you first logged in. But if you ignored or missed it, I don't think it matters because going into settings performs the same function.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.