Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Facebook is today rolling out a long-awaited feature within its iOS app, which will allow users to post GIFs directly into comments using a native GIF button. To share a GIF, users will find the button sitting next to the emoji button in the text field of the Facebook comment window, and from there they can search for a GIF by typing, horizontally scroll through the results, and tap to share.

facebook-gif-comments.jpg

The new feature will be fueled by Facebook's GIF partners, which already power GIF search abilities in Facebook Messenger, including Tenor, Giphy, Disney, and more.

The company said that the update is in celebration of the 30th anniversary of the GIF format, which was created by Steve Wilhite on June 15, 1987. The celebration will also include exclusive GIFs in collaboration with popular service GIPHY, and a user survey that will appear on Facebook's feed that intends to put to rest the GIF pronunciation debate once and for all. In 2013, Wilhite said the word is pronounced with a soft g, or "JIF," but many users continue to use the hard g alternative.

Facebook said that GIFs in comments will debut today "for all people on Facebook globally," so it should begin appearing across mobile devices and on the web soon. Facebook is available to download on the iOS App Store for free [Direct Link].

Article Link: Facebook Introduces Native GIF Support in Comments on iOS

DMaki650

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Rhinelander, WI
STILL waiting on the color backgrounds that ALL iOS users are "suppose" to have. Which I don't STILL. All my friends that use the iOS app have this feature but me. And they decide to add NEW feature while other features still haven't dropped? WOW Facebook just wow.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.