Facebook iOS App Gets VoiceOver Feature to Help Blind Users 'See' Photos

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 5, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Facebook has introduced a new accessibility tool to its iOS app for blind and visually impaired people to help identify images posted on their social feed.

The function, called Automatic Alternative Text, works via VoiceOver and generates descriptions of photos that are spoken out loud as a user swipes past photos in the Facebook app.

[​IMG]

Previously, people using VoiceOver would only hear the name of the person who shared the photo, followed by the term "photo", when they came upon an image in the News Feed.

Thanks to the new function - made possible by advancements in object recognition technology - a richer description is now available. For example, a user may hear, "Image may contain three people, smiling, outdoors."

Automatic alternative text is currently only available in English, but Facebook plans to add the function for other languages soon. To use the feature on an iOS device with the Facebook app installed, go to Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> VoiceOver and turn on the VoiceOver function.

Facebook is free on the App Store for iPhone and iPad. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Facebook iOS App Gets VoiceOver Feature to Help Blind Users 'See' Photos

2. spykthomas macrumors member

If it can read tagged people in the photos as well, it would be awesome.

3. Jared Strike macrumors regular

Jared Strike

"This is a picture of a beautiful woman in Yosemite National Park with sun in her hair. Sorry you can't see it"

I don't know if I was blind I would think this is like pouring salt in the wound.

4. merkinmuffley macrumors 6502a

Great idea. I congratulate FB for coming up with this.

5. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

Isn't this MacRumors? Aren't we all supposed to be hating Facebook and practically bragging about how we don't have it installed on our phones?

Although not directly baked into FB, TapTapSee is much cooler implementation of visual-identification http://www.taptapseeapp.com/

6. eoblaed macrumors 68020

eoblaed

But when do we get an iPad Pro version already? Geez. o_O

7. KazKam, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016

KazKam macrumors 6502

KazKam

I wonder how accurate it is. For example, 20% of profile photos might say "Image may contain woman in need of external validation, puckering lips and showing major cleavage and top third of left nipple."

8. Superhai macrumors 6502

Superhai

9. Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

So you basically recommend that blind people should better not have access to written or painted content?