Facebook iPad App

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Spooner83, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Spooner83 macrumors regular

Spooner83

It was leaked already, why haven't they released it yet? It's not going to be perfect when they do, they'll need to issue updates so just release it already! An update fixes a bug. Stop being lame facebook.

2. jonrando macrumors 6502a

This thread is spam. Facebook never intended on it being leaked and there may be stuff they are still tweaking, adding, or fixing. This isn't a rants forum. They'll release it when it's ready.

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I want applications that work, not this perpetual beta culture we are in. Being happy with a company throwing us a bone is a sad way to live. Why not support the other apps that are exploring interesting ways to interact with FB.

He's not trying to sell or promote anything; this is no more SPAM than a thread asking Apple to give us retina display is.

4. jonrando macrumors 6502a

Never said he was. It's spam because he made this thread with the sole intent of voicing his anger regarding the iPad app that was leaked but sill hasn't be released.

Like I said, Facebook is still working on the app which is the most logical explanation as to why the app isn't released yet.

A thread asking for Apple to give a retina display on the iPad isn't spam as it can spark a discussion, for example, regarding the pros and cons of the retina display, for consumers and Apple.

5. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

You shouldn't call it spam because "spam" refers to unwanted commercial solicitations. "Trolling" would be more accurate in this case.

6. BruiserBear macrumors 6502a

I've been wondering the same thing as the original poster. The app is obviously done, it looks very cool by what we've seen from the leak, and it's waaaay overdue. I just don't understand what Facebook is waiting for.

Just release it already, and even if there are a few bugs you can always release a patch soon after to fix them.

7. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

They aren't going to release an app EVERYONE has been waiting for with bugs just to please a few people. They'll release it when they feel it's ready.

8. jonrando macrumors 6502a

How would you know if it's done or not by looking at a few pictures? Do you work for Facebook?

Although the pictures may look like it's ready, there are obviously things Facebook is still tweaking. It would be like Apple releasing iOS 5 without any betas or anything. It may look good from pictures, but it could be pretty buggy.

9. hansvon macrumors member

But it really is baffling, no? A multibillion dollar corporation can't release a satisfactory app for the iPad well over a year after its release and in the meanwhile we have to rely on tech hobbyists with bank accounts a fraction of Facebook's budget. Heck, if they're so worried about bugs, what's their excuse for the iPhone app as it is now?

10. shandyman Suspended

actually the people that got to use it when it 'leaked' said it mostly worked pretty well, there were some things that weren't working, but that was due to how it was 'leaked'. so it's not just from pictures.....

11. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Mypad is ok by me. I dont care if an actual fb app comes out or not.

12. BruiserBear macrumors 6502a

Exactly.

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Can you imagine if it had more bugs than the iPhone app? :eek:

14. drxcm macrumors regular

I just use Safari and put a boomark link on the home screen.
    IMO its better than any dedicated app for FB thus far.

15. mattraehl macrumors 6502

That works, but I still want an app. Mainly for two things:

1. Multiple accounts (my wife and I)
    2. Photo/video uploads.

There are workarounds and solutions and apps for both, but an official FB app would be the ideal solution.

16. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

At least FB is mostly usable in web browsers on the iPad. Google+ is absolutely terrible whether you use desktop or mobile view, and they decide to bar iPad users from even downloading the iPhone app. WTF?

17. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

I actually still have the Facebook iPad app installed and working (I believe there was a Cydia tweak for it) and I can tell you that it is almost ready for primetime, but not quite yet. However, the little nuisances and bugs aren't completely detrimental to the Facebook experience, but they are annoying.

There's an accuracy bug for the send button in the chat feature; there's sometimes stray lines and/or text that would bleed into the news feed after viewing pictures or multiple friend's pages; comments not fitting in the window provided for status, article etc. comments on the right side of the screen, and minor stabilization and memory management bugs. For the basic Facebook experience, though (viewing news feed, checking notifications, checking in, status updating, etc.) it works very well.

So, it's almost ready, and I hope it's sooner rather than later.

18. ~Ks383~ macrumors 6502

I completely agree with everything you wrote. I have the iPad version of Facebook enabled and have noticed every one of these bugs. It works great for basic things and seems to be almost ready but is not quite ready for general release yet.