Facebook is a virus!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by akash.nu, Mar 21, 2019.

1. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

2. badatusernames macrumors member

badatusernames

I wouldn't go as far as saying it's a virus. It is a toxic company with bad practices when it comes to user privacy. However, the problem I have with these companies is that they need to be more transparent with how they are managing and securing my data. With that said the majority of people seem not to care about what is done with their data. If Facebook said "we use your data to for x and y" and you're okay with that then fine use the service.

3. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

Most Facebook users I know only care about having their accounts hacked and not with what is being done with their data. They are too addicted to stop using it.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Unfortunately there is no other place if you want to communicate with family and friends. It really is a necessary evil at this point. I would love to dump Facebook but everyone is there.

5. akash.nu thread starter macrumors 604

akash.nu

I’ve dumped Facebook and provided my friends alternative ways to communicate via signal. If they cared about being in touch with me then they downloaded the app and if they didn’t then it wasn’t a lost cause for me either. Sorted!

6. zipelius macrumors newbie

Did you move to use WhatsApp? :D

7. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

He mentioned Signal which is encrypted and secure.

8. zipelius macrumors newbie

Hahaha... I was too sleepy to read it. Yeah, it's good if there could be some alternative service for FB what respect user rights and people could use it, but there is not.

9. goslowjoe macrumors regular

goslowjoe

Most of my contacts do not understand the inherent dangers posed by a company such as Facebook and if I try to point out the dangers, they make as if the problem is with me. Who on earth would trust a company whose CEO refers to its users as "dumb f***s"? As Akash.nu said, if my contacts do not want to accept that I have a valid reason not to be associated with this company in any way, and do not want to contact me in a way I feel comfortable with, then that is their loss.

True, I still use WhatsApp, and reluctantly so. But the minute Facebook finally merges FB Messenger, Instagram and WhatsApp as planned, I dump WhatsApp. That the company already has information about me is a fact, but I do not have to allow it to continue.

This "dumb f**k", as Zuckerberg refers to me and others, will not allow him to control me. I think the term he has coined refers even more to him. What a fugly person.

10. akash.nu thread starter macrumors 604

akash.nu

The alternative is signal. Read up on it. The most prominent security experts all swear by it.

I won’t trust my details on WhatsApp especially after the CEO quitting Facebook over a disagreement on user privacy. Hell No!

11. iTurbo macrumors 6502

12. pippox0 macrumors member

pippox0

I have some doubs about the fact Whatsapp merged with Facebook messanger could read and scan text and recorded voice messages to index our profiles and send us more ads ...

13. goslowjoe macrumors regular

goslowjoe

I am hoping it does not, but why else did Facebook purchase WhatsApp? They were after the huge user base, with the intention of flooding them with ads and also grab personal information when the time is right.

14. badatusernames macrumors member

badatusernames

I ditched Facebook a year ago, life has been simpler since.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 26, 2019 ---
    To be fair he may have been joking but it really does show a lot.

15. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

Facebook is a covert CIA data mining facility. Sugar mountain is the codename, which incidentally is what Zuckerberg means in English. Passing it off as created by a nerd college student in his dorm room - LOL. Pull the other one, its got bells on.

16. a2jack macrumors regular

a2jack

Why not just use e-mail ? Like it used-to was. LOL

17. Turnpike, Mar 30, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2019

Turnpike macrumors 6502

Turnpike

The guy started the company by stealing the idea, and his business model has been to steal whatever he could get away with ever since.

18. Martyimac macrumors 68000

Martyimac

Well your first error was giving the ipad to the illiterate senior and not instructing them on some basic FB security precautions. E.G. If if you were to go to my FB page and look through my personal info, not one piece of what little is visible to the public is true. They are made up numbers/info.
    Secondly, FB phased out the initial photo syncing option back in 2016. Now they cannot access the photos on my iphone without my permission, which I haven't given.

19. Turnpike macrumors 6502

Turnpike

Exactly my point- I didn't have to give them any warnings about iCloud, iTunes, or the iPad... but you're saying I should have when giving them access to Facebook- which is why it's a virus, a poison. When the average person can't use a new product without getting taken advantage of or even realize they are a victim of manipulation until after the damage is done (if ever) then it is a VIRUS.

20. Martyimac macrumors 68000

Martyimac

Then giving them ANY device that can access the internet means you have given them a virus. So basically you are saying the internet itself is a virus. Which, I guess, could be accurate.

21. Turnpike macrumors 6502

Turnpike

LOL Martyimac. Either you work for FB, are in denial, or are just willfully ignorant if you really can't see how much different (abusive, manipulative, thieving-all deliberately. It's their business model) FB is than most other major websites. I don't even know how you can pretend to not see what I mean.

Go sign up with Ebay, Gmail, iTunes.... your info won't end up in public records registries from there. You don't have to be "warned" before using them the same way the guy at Home Depot warns you when you buy weed killer.

22. Martyimac macrumors 68000

Martyimac

While overall I agree with you, sorta :D I have had info from Ebay end up in public records.
    Anyway, enough of that.
    Lets just say that everyone has to be VERY careful with any information they put on the internet in today's world. We are, after all, the product being sold.
    PS I wish I worked for FB, I wouln't have to live from SS check to SS check.

23. Turnpike macrumors 6502

Turnpike

Agreed. I guess because of what I've seen I dislike them in an extra special way, ha ha... and you've said it perfectly- everyone has to be VERY careful with anything they put online. The internet went from an amazing, empowering discovery to becoming a battleground of agendas.

24. 960design macrumors 68030

Signal is made by my hero.

25. Yptcn macrumors 6502a

Yptcn

FaceWhat ??? I dumped it over a year ago and don't miss it at all .