Facebook is getting Ridiculous

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Centaurr, May 23, 2015.

1. Centaurr, May 23, 2015
    Last edited: May 24, 2015

Centaurr macrumors 6502a

Centaurr

Hello everyone
    Has anybody gotten "temporarily locked" by facebook for their ID? they say they want to "verify" if i send them an official ID like a license and if i dont i can't get back into my account. that is totally wrong.
    i joined facebook when it first started and have been a loyal member (i log in daily) but i am very very careful about my private info and i will not be sending them my ID. i guess no more facebook for me, is there another social site like facebook? i mostly used facebook as a news feed of things that i liked, like sports and places around my local area. i didnt really use it for family and friends which is its main thing.

2. canman4PM macrumors 6502

canman4PM

That sounds really strange and suspicious. Did they contact you, or did you contact them with that request for ID? If you contacted them, then I'd suggest your account was hacked and they want to make sure you are you and not the hacker. If they contacted you and asked for ID, then I'd think you were hacked and the hacker may have done so on the hopes you would give your ID.

I got locked out once when my account was accessed in Poland. You'll note I live in Canada and I would bet the system noticed my logging in at home with a discrepancy of a log in in Poland at the same time. I've never been to Poland.

I tried to log in one day, was told I was locked out and told to click a link. From there I was informed about the odd Polish activity and given a link whereby I could go in and change the password. Problem apparently solved.

----------

As for news collation, there are many new feed services out there.

3. malman89 macrumors 68000

I mean Blizzard does that if your account gets seriously locked out or suspicious activity occurs on it, but no, I've never heard of Facebook doing that. Then again, I've never had an issue with Facebook in the last... 8.5 years. Geez, been too long.

4. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I hate FaceBook. The beginning of the end for me is when they came out with the Apps. The end was sometime after they came out with the "timeline". I've been FaceBook-free for years now.

If I care enough about you to want to know what you're doing, I'll keep in touch with you. If you want to know what I'm doing, get in touch with me. This is a little simplified, but that's my general opinion of online social networking.

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

I took a break from the internet from 2005 till 2008 and when I started using it again, I noticed this facebook thing being popular among kids. It's basically an ugly, free personal website. I never understood why anyone would use this boring thing. I had my first personal webpage in 1994. Facebook looked worse than those old pages!
    I have never used facebook and I never will.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Actually, MR is the first 'social' site I ever joined, and I joined because I had questions I wished to ask about my first Apple computer, a MBP, which I bought as a belated birthday present for myself in 2008. Having lurked, and later, joined, I decided to linger awhile.

Much later, after a stint abroad, colleagues recommended LinkedIn, which I joined a few years ago, and which I use purely for professional reasons.

However, I have never had a Facebook account; I don't even 'get' it, despite colleagues and friends from periods abroad having recommended it passionately, and am not really interested in trying to 'get' it.

7. Centaurr thread starter macrumors 6502a

Centaurr

i went to the help section and it says that if they think an account is fake, they would lock it? my account was not fake, i joined when they first came out and was a avid user and i mean daily use. i did have a fake name and never put my real pic on the profile pic and i had no type of info on my profile but you can see that it wasnt fake cause i would put very expressive comments and would post about stuff that i liked, like soccer and movies, i would even 'check in' at certain fun places

8. unclejamaal macrumors 6502

Use twitter for news feeds. Better than Facebook IMHO and less intrusive and can easily have multiple accounts

9. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

To me FaceBook is trying to become the old AOL! :p