Facebook Is So Hit and Miss (Notifications)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by flipster, Jun 17, 2011.

1. flipster macrumors 6502a

Is it just me? It seems like Facebook is so hit and miss with notifications. Sometimes they come instant, sometimes they come late, and sometimes I won't even get them at all.

Is this just me? Or does it happen to everyone?

I'm guessing it's just Facebook's crappy quality app, but I'm not so sure 0.o

2. mwohrlin macrumors newbie

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

While their app is not the greatest (it's a lot better than the older versions) I would guess that they're handling more notifications than anyone else, save Twitter. That's a lot of data to accurately push.

4. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

With me it's more miss rather than hit. Most of the time they don't come at all, it is very frustrating. Amazing how such a big company like facebook cannot get the app right.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The FB app is crap, especially lately. Even when they fix something, they later break something else when they do an update. Next time I get an update that seems to work, I’m not updating again.

6. Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Same here.
    And I get less than 10% of all facebook push notifications.

8. sreedy macrumors 6502a

Do you also get the issue when Notifications say that someone has commented on your picture, from within Notification you click the link and the image doesn't have that new comment..... I pull down to refresh and nothing. Leave there and go to my wall and click the picture and now the comment is usually displayed......

It really annoys me that this app has so many little quirks even if they deal with a lot of traffic...... the Twitter app works great!

9. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

10. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Yup, same here. Kinda never surprised me actually. :rolleyes:

11. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I agree, very rarely get push notifications, and when I pull down to refresh it'll more often than not just bounce back up and do nothing.

12. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

yeah who you kidding? People actually walk up to me and tell me they've wrote on my wall. Half the apps "notify" about something AFTER you open it. I hate that.

13. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

It's not just notifications, it's the whole app that's buggy. Its getting worse in my opinion.

14. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

It's really buggy in general...sometimes I'll get a notification and I'll go to view say a tagged photo and it will be just a blank screen. Or sometimes I'll get a comment and it won't load the updated comments...

15. fungus macrumors regular

fungus

Yes, it is utter crap. Delayed notifications, photo comments never showing up, etc, etc. And it's not just the app. I've been having these same problems on the actual site, just not as often.

16. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

Yeah the notifications suck ass right now. Right now I'm using Boxcar to get my FB notifications. They deliver but it lags by around 5-10 minutes.

I wonder if anyone on iOS 5 beta has it better than us?

17. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

works better if you have alerts turned on. if not it wont notify you on anything. I might just delete the app and use Safari for facebook.

18. beaner454 macrumors regular

I've talked to some of my friends that work at Facebook and they've said that FB tries to play games with notifications to determine what ratio will drive the most traffic to the site. For instance:

100% Notification delivery might drive you to the site 2 or 3 times a day, since you know exactly who's liked you posts, or added you as a friend.

33% Notification delivery might drive you to the site 9 or 10 times a day, to check and make sure there weren't any missed notifications.

How accurate this is is anyones guess though.

19. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

On my old iPhone 3g, I used to have a bug where I would get notifications instantly, but they would be for the wrong person. It somehow got my notifications confused with someone else's :eek:. I hope they fix the current notification issues ASAP. It is getting very annoying.

20. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

A while back my notifications were great, I'd get them every time. But lately I get MAYBE 1 out of every 10 notifications. Useless.

21. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

i often wondered if this was just happening to me. but yeah, it's so bad half the time i check to make sure they are actually turned on.

22. biker74 macrumors member

biker74

Ye, not the greatest. WP7 FB notifications are excellent (tried the HTC HD7 recently).

23. jive turkey macrumors 6502

Every FB app on every platform that I have ever used has sucked awful. As bad as the iPhone version is, the Blackberry FB app was that much worse.

24. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I honestly can't imagine that. It's so bad now that I'm starting to think the Facebook devs are as incompetent at coding as Adobe is at coding for the OS X.

25. flipster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Facebook app has just been updated, let's see if this changes things!