Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
Still no 60fps scrolling on retina MBP under ML! Terrible show from Apple. I'm returning it first thing tomorrow! :mad:

In all seriousness though, you can really tell that the version of Lion that shipped with the rMBP was put together at the last minute. Mountain Lion on this thing is simply sublime.

Not that its a priority in any way, but scrolling websites is now as buttery smooth as IE9 on bootcamp, which is just a bonus considering I found scrolling fine on Lion.

All in all, anyone being put off by the "lag" complaints beforehand regarding browsing on the rMBP, ML has relieved it all. Considering I've only owned it a week, ML has made it feel like a new machine altogether. Even the subtle changes to the GUI, such as the new dock and more saturated icons, really make the display on the rMBP a pleasure to use (if it wasnt good enough already!).

Hopefully now we'll see an end to all the crying on here and have some normal, hopefully positive, contributions to the boards.

Last edited:

qpiqp

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2012
I'm confused. Was the title and first line all sarcasm? Or are you actually returning it? I think sarcasm, but you never know with the internet :confused:

striker33

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
I'm confused. Was the title and first line all sarcasm? Or are you actually returning it? I think sarcasm, but you never know with the internet :confused:

Apologies. The title and first line or so were definitely all sarcasm. Just my little swipe at a few certain people on here :eek:

Marrakas

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2012
Sounds good, I haven't updated myself yet as Apple haven't sent me the code to redeem my free copy.

But yeah it's annoying to read about the "omg only 25fps scrolling, crap laptop" stuff. And this is from people who probably wouldn't have noticed any scrolling lag if they hadn't read about it.

arashb

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2009
Scrolling is as buttery smooth as IE9?!? Is scrolling that good in IE9 now that it's better than Safari's? (Serious question, because I thought Safari's scrolling is the best)

Ahhh, the little things that get us :p.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
Scrolling is as buttery smooth as IE9?!? Is scrolling that good in IE9 now that it's better than Safari's? (Serious question, because I thought Safari's scrolling is the best)

Ahhh, the little things that get us :p.

Yeah IE9 is a seriously awesome browser. I only used it the other day because I had a fresh bootcamp install. Took me completely by surprise.

It handles more intensive websites such as Facebook and Sky Sports a lot better, but that could simply be down to the websites themselves. For everything else though, Safari wins for me due to the actual scrolling animations implemented within it, as opposed to the generic blocky scrolling in Windows.

I think Apple have also improved the trackpad drivers on the Windows side of things as well, which helps.

hiohokaybye

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2007
I can definitely feel that safari scrolling is a lot smoother :)

but mission control is still lagging quite a bit for me unfortunately :(

I've also been running the GM for a couple weeks now, so i'm not making this claim just from a couple hours of testing* :p

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Facebook is a poorly coded website. That isn't apples fault. It is a LOT faster than it was in Lion.....but not 60fps.....does that really matter???? Do you need it to scroll perfectly smoothly to read? Is scrolling really a part of the experience for you?

BTW, every other page ive been to so far runs a LOT smoother than it used to.

Google Reader is still pretty choppy too..but better than it was. I don't consider it apples job to optimize other peoples web pages tho.

Diveflo

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2008
Well actually...Facebook still sucks on ML (base rMBP). Not quite as much as under Lion, but it's still laggy.
The thing I really can't grasp is that my new iPad (2.X k * 1.5X k pixels) can render facebook butter smoothly, but a discrete GPU on this machine can't?!

All of the other lags have disappeared with ML. Even TheVerge is smooth now.

theoski

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2008
Well actually...Facebook still sucks on ML (base rMBP). Not quite as much as under Lion, but it's still laggy.
The thing I really can't grasp is that my new iPad (2.X k * 1.5X k pixels) can render facebook butter smoothly, but a discrete GPU on this machine can't?!

Exactly

ARMv7 @ 1.00 GHz
1 processor, 2 cores

vs.

Intel Core i7-3720QM @ 2.60 GHz
1 processor, 4 cores, 8 threads

How does this make any sense. We are talking about hypothetically 15 times more powerful machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.