Facebook Launches 3D Photos Feature That Uses Portrait Mode Images From iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 11, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Facebook today announced the launch of a new 3D photos feature that uses the Portrait Mode feature of the iPhone and other smartphones with dual lens cameras.

Facebook manipulates the Portrait Mode photo to display the scene in 3D, using the depth information between the subject in the foreground and the background.

[​IMG]
    According to Facebook, 3D photos can be uploaded by starting a new post, tapping on the three dots for more options, and choosing the 3D photo option.

Facebook has several tips for creating ideal 3D photos using Portrait Mode, including choosing scenes with a clear difference in depth between the subject and the background, taking advantage of high contrast, and capturing images with some texture.

All Facebook users can view 3D photos in the News Feed and via VR starting today, with the ability to create and share 3D photos rolling out to all users over the coming weeks.

Article Link: Facebook Launches 3D Photos Feature That Uses Portrait Mode Images From iPhone

2. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Oh crap, now FaceBook has many people's 3D data. You just know there's a whole team of jerks over there working tirelessly at using this data to map people's houses and the faces of everyone they know.

3. pi.mont macrumors newbie

pi.mont

Nifty idea, too bad there isn't much that'll get me to re-download their bloated app back on to my iPhone.

4. LogicalApex macrumors regular

Nice try Facebook. I'm not giving your algorithms even more information to make facial recognition easier for you to perform.

5. 212rikanmofo Suspended

Too bad, I already deleted Facebook the social engineering app from my life awhile ago.

You’re as awful as Google. Go to hell!

6. Meñito macrumors newbie

Meñito

FaceSuuks.app never again in my iPhone, Messenger too. :p

7. michael31986 macrumors 68040

8. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 601

OldSchoolMacGuy

Like every Facebook feature, they roll it out slowly to users over a period of a couple weeks. The article even states this.

9. donlab macrumors 6502

donlab

Soo it mimics what Lytro cameras were able to achieve years ago?

10. travoose macrumors member

travoose

Must be a gradual rollout for users...as I do not see the 3D Photo option in my app.

11. barkomatic macrumors 68040

12. alexnyc8 macrumors newbie

nsa and other spook agencies will have complete profiles on anyone silly enough to use this, for your safety ofcourse

13. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 601

OldSchoolMacGuy

Sure, and you don't need to spend a couple hundred dollars on a separate Lytro camera and it's much more conveniently on a device all of us have and carry with us all the time, making it much more useful.

14. pika2000 macrumors 68040

Relax people. Sooner or later, Facebook's data will be just filled with false photos from all the fake accounts.

15. decypher44 macrumors regular

decypher44

16. Neryus macrumors member

I hate the Facebook and Messenger App for everything that is camera related on my iPhone X.

They think it is cool to take full use of the X screen when taking a picture in the App, that they basically cut off 2 sided of the original picture, so it ‚fits‘ the screen. It is absolutely stupid, since you lose parts of the picture anf people with different form factors look at a widescreen picture that could just have more information showing. But no, Facebook just cuts it off so it looks ‚better‘ on your screen.

No option to turn that ******** off either.

17. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 601

OldSchoolMacGuy

On the iOS version, you just tap like you're going to post an update and then scroll down. You'll see all the options below. Note that this feature will be rolling out over the next couple weeks. You may not see the option yet but will in coming weeks.

18. larrylaffer macrumors 6502a

larrylaffer

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

I'd say that "y'all" is quite a ways from "y'all".

20. tripleh3lix macrumors 6502

tripleh3lix

Did it pop up for anyone yet? Notice a few friends in the UK got the update.

21. MrJeffreyGee macrumors member

MrJeffreyGee

Interesting... Now you can lose your privacy online in 3 dimensions.

22. DrumApple macrumors 6502a

23. tripleh3lix macrumors 6502

tripleh3lix

Yeah like the Facebook 360 page first, close the Facebook app and then open it again and it should pop up under here

Attached Files:

24. travoose macrumors member

travoose

I've done this many many many times and it does not show up for me.

25. DrumApple macrumors 6502a

That did the trick. I force quit the app tho and then re-launched and it was there.