MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following in the footsteps of Google Maps and Find My Friends, Facebook today announced that users will be able to track their friends and family within Facebook Messenger using a new feature it calls "Live Location."

The hour-long location sharing feature is beginning to roll out globally today, and Facebook said it should help friends coordinate with one another when making plans, as well as notifying a significant other when you're on your way home. The plan-making focus falls in line with Facebook Messenger's recent Snapchat-like addition "Messenger Day."

facebook-live-location-800x560.jpg

Facebook gave users a step-by-step guide to the process of location sharing within Messenger, which they can follow using the steps below:

[*]To share your Live Location in a message on iOS, tap the Location icon or tap the More icon and then select Location.

[*]With today's update, you'll see a map of your current location and the option to tap a blue bar to share your Live Location.

[*]If you choose to share your Live Location, the person or people you share it with will be able to see where you are on a map for the next 60 minutes.

[*]You'll be able to see an estimate of how long it would take to get to others' locations by car. (The ETA is seen by the person with whom the location is shared.)

[*]You can stop sharing your Live Location at any time; just tap Stop Sharing.

[*]A small clock in the lower right hand corner of the map will also let you know how much longer you're sharing your location for.
The social media company also mentioned that today's location sharing update is "completely optional" and that users "are always in control." Facebook has been beefing up Facebook Messenger over the past few months, previously adding Reactions, Messenger Day, group video chat, and more into the split-off messaging app.

Article Link: Facebook Launches Location Sharing Feature Within Messenger Called 'Live Location'

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
I usually get the new features rolled out early but this isn't available yet for me.

Not like I use it often.

WinstonRumfoord

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2014
I will never understand people's desire to broadcast their location.

"This person is not at their home. Their home is that much more attractive to burglarize"

Buran

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2007
I have no personal interest in using the feature, either, but it's entirely optional and only people you whitelist know where you are. If you're concerned about strangers knowing when you're not home, don't tell strangers when you're not home.

It's simple enough to withhold location permission from the app entirely at the OS level, too.

As to why it could be useful? Just as described, it's handy for when you're trying to coordinate meeting up with someone. When you've found them, turn off sharing. Done.

Last edited:

4jasontv

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2011
I will never understand people's desire to broadcast their location.

"This person is not at their home. Their home is that much more attractive to burglarize"

I use glympse to show someone I am picking up or who is picking me up where I am. It is a lot easier and safer than texting or calling multiple times. With glympse though you can share your location with someone who doesn't use the app. They don't even need an account.

Oh, and I can set it to automatically shut off after a set time.

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
I use the location feature when going on vacation. Since the rest of my family is leaving from their homes and we all meet up in a cabin I usually don't know where it is. So they send me their location and I choose navigate there

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Jul 14, 2016
all the more reason to think about deleting FB and Messenger from my phone :)
-----------Of all the improvements and fixes they could make they ignored the obvious and put this in? How about killing all the damn pop ups? How about quitting all the sentence completions that I have no interest in and are irrelevant to the post I am making?????

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Got rid of both the Facebook app and Messenger ages ago. Now just use it through the browser.

They tried to prevent using the messaging function on the mobile browser, but there's a workaround that works perfectly.

Juiceboy

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
all the more reason to think about keeping FB and Messenger from my phone.

What a useful and optional feature that can be used cross platform.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
-----------Of all the improvements and fixes they could make they ignored the obvious and put this in? How about killing all the damn pop ups? How about quitting all the sentence completions that I have no interest in and are irrelevant to the post I am making?????
Pop-ups? And I'm not even really sure what sentence completions we are really talking about, but it sounds like it's a feature they think is interesting/useful, so why would they somehow "quit" it because someone isn't interested in them, while perhaps many people might be or at least might be indifferent to it?
[doublepost=1490654103][/doublepost]
Got rid of both the Facebook app and Messenger ages ago. Now just use it through the browser.

They tried to prevent using the messaging function on the mobile browser, but there's a workaround that works perfectly.
That workaround being?

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
That workaround being?

Go to a Facebook page that allows visitor posts using the mobile browser. (I have one set to a Favorite in the browser).

Then "Request Desktop Site" (long-hold refresh in Safari, menu-select in Chrome).

Doing this only once will keep the mobile look/theme, but it will allow you to go into messenger. Things look just like they used to.

It also makes it so when you view something from your news feed or a page, going back doesn't put you all the way back up at the top. Everything works faster.

Reactions: C DM
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.