Facebook listening on Iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SeasideMel, Dec 6, 2014.

1. SeasideMel macrumors newbie

I use FB on my Iphone a lot. I do not have the FB app on my Iphone. I have a shortcut to the website. I have an Iphone 5C and ios 8. I notice lately that I will talk about something very specific, for instance, foot massage, romantic issue... and a suggested post for something very similar will soon appear in my FB feed. Each time I search my memory to recall if I have posted, emailed, texted or used the mic to discuss those issues, and each time I did not. These suggested posts reflecting my conversations have occurred often enough now that it seems very unlikely it could be a coincidence.
    Does anyone know how this happens and how I can prevent it?

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Delete Facebook. Problem solved.

Seriously: facebook's done a lot of research on habits and behaviors of its users. No doubt it's basing its suggestions on your demographics and other behaviors, rather than listening to you. People reveal a lot more than they realize without having to say it, and companies like Facebook and Google are very adept at figuring that stuff out.

It's also unlikely that anything you access over the web browser would be able to hear what you're saying, without explicit permission from you.

If it creeps you out, the only way for them to stop collecting data on you is to stop using them.

3. EOB macrumors regular

A lot of the times it can also be based on your browser cookies/search history.

4. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

That's it right there, it is based on cookies and your search history.

6. SeasideMel, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014

SeasideMel thread starter macrumors newbie

I did not search or input any terms into my Iphone or my computer regarding the issues that arose in the suggested posts, but I had recently discussed the topics. In fact, I mentioned vitamin D deficiency today. I had not done a search on the issue for a couple months. A suggested ad appeared today regarding vitamin D deficiency. This type of thing happens again and again.

7. EOB macrumors regular

time to put your tin foil hat on.

8. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

You have access to Facebook online, not just on your phone. It picks up your search traits in the same way Amazon does.

9. SeasideMel thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I'm convinced that it's not listening to me, but it is truly uncanny how it brings up ads and posts for things that I've just recently mentioned in conversation. I guess there's something to the saying that some websites "know you better than you know yourself."