Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crisandria

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2016
CT
I was just on my iPhone Facebook messenger and saw a message at the top that as of May 31, 2023, that messenger for Apple Watch was going to be removed. You’d still be able to receive notifications. (With the implication that you wouldn’t be able to reply to them.)
The message disappeared on its own, without me, axing out of it.

Anyone know anything about it going away for Apple Watch?

H57

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2019
I was just on my iPhone Facebook messenger and saw a message at the top that as of May 31, 2023, that messenger for Apple Watch was going to be removed. You’d still be able to receive notifications. (With the implication that you wouldn’t be able to reply to them.)
The message disappeared on its own, without me, axing out of it.

Anyone know anything about it going away for Apple Watch?
Good news it should be removed.

infinitedreams

macrumors regular
May 3, 2017
Meta hates Apple, they have released a Wear OS app for WhatsApp the same day as this discontinuation announcement. We still don't have an iPad WhatsApp app while Android tablets do.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Why don’t you guys like the app?
Sometimes the Apple fanboyism shows through on this site. ;)

According to them:

Apple = GOOD
Meta/Facebook = BAD
Google = BAD
Samsung = BAD
Epic/Fortnight = BAD

Would be nice if people could be more constructive instead of offering their opinions. Don’t like the company/product? Don’t use them or move along…

I haven’t seen any official announcement from Meta yet, but it doesn’t surprise me. A lot of developers/companies have been discontinuing their Apple Watch apps over the past few years. My guess is that not very many people use them. I’ve never thought to use Messenger on my watch or even knew there was an app. I open it on my phone if I get a notification I care about. Or maybe they want it to be exclusive to Android / Wear OS, as infinitedreams alluded to. Supposedly Meta is working on a smart watch of their own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.