Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Facebook today announced a new feature for its Facebook Messenger app for iOS -- money transfers. It's now possible for Facebook Messenger users to send and receive money right within the app, letting Facebook compete with other money sending services like Venmo and Paypal.

The new money sending feature is free to use. Sending a friend a payment can be done by tapping the "$" icon located on top of the keyboard, which is also where stickers are accessed and photos are inserted. After tapping the icon, enter the amount to send, tap "Pay" in the top right corner of the app, and add a debit card (Visa or MasterCard) to make the payment.

facebookpayments-800x508.jpg
Receiving money can be done by opening the conversation from the friend who sent the money and adding a debit card to accept the money. Funds are transferred immediately when sent through the app, but it can take one to three business days for the money to be made available.

Facebook says that it uses multiple layers of software and hardware to protect its payment systems, and on iOS, the app can be secured with Touch ID.

According to Facebook, the new money sending feature will be rolling out over the coming months in the United States. The Facebook Messenger app can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Facebook Messenger App for iOS Gains Money Transfer Feature

bigrustyjc

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2005
bad idea

This has bad idea written all over it. I don't trust Facebook as far as I can throw them. There's no way I'm trusting them with sending money.

thmsup

macrumors member
May 10, 2013
Not available in Germany I guess, since I don't have the $ (or €) symbol for that matter. (yes, I already updated the app)

(okay, now i read the last line. SORRY FOLKS :) )

adamneer

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2013
Chicago, IL
So I suppose it's only a matter of time before they split this off into its own app, to make it a more streamlined and efficient experience for the user.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
So I suppose it's only a matter of time before they split this off into its own app, to make it a more streamlined and efficient experience for the user.

Haha, no kidding right?

I don't know that I see the point of this. more features just for the sake of more features.

WordsmithMR

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2015
Murica
I thought it was a bad idea when SnapChat implemented this, still think it's odd. However, if this is truly free as its claiming to be, then it is great. This info doesn't mention any fee on either end like PayPal and SnapChat have... Curious to see how this ends up.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
!No Gracias!

Facebook is no longer on my devices. When I send money to my daughters I use Paypal (not because I use paypal, but becasue they do).

I see no need to use social media for financial transaction.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
GCHQ: "Why are you paying £25 every few weeks to this person who isn't tagged in any of your photos and all you message about is something to do with henry?"

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
Everyone here is being unnecessarily negative.

Facebook has a knack for making life easier.

This makes life easier.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
Life without Facebook is a lot easier. At least for me that is.

If I'm traveling, facebook messenger makes communicating with people really easy, as 99.9% of people I know are on it.

I made a lot of friends while abroad, and we're more tuned into each others' lives thanks to facebook.

I'm a hoarder and a nostalgic, being able to go through years of photos and messages and posts via one consolidated platform is really satisfying.

Those would probably be my top 3.

But hey, a lot of people love unplugging from it--so I get it! Just sharing my POV.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Cool. Just two problems:

1 - It doesn't use Apple Pay, so I'm concerned about it being a potential attack vector.
2 - It's not in the Facebook app (seriously, knock it off Facebook and put Messenger back where it belongs. The tab is still there, even.)

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
If I'm traveling, facebook messenger makes communicating with people really easy, as 99.9% of people I know are on it.

I made a lot of friends while abroad, and we're more tuned into each others' lives thanks to facebook.

I'm a hoarder and a nostalgic, being able to go through years of photos and messages and posts via one consolidated platform is really satisfying.

Those would probably be my top 3.

But hey, a lot of people love unplugging from it--so I get it! Just sharing my POV.

Normal snailmail and later on email did just fine, why someone needs instant access to all (so called- optional) friends is beyond my understanding.
I travelled around the world on a pushbike before Facebook even existed, email did just fine, or just a call now and then to my family.

This of course is my personal opinion.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I would not trust my money with facebook at all.
And it does not use Apple Pay. This is NOT secure. Therefore I will never use it.

----------

Everyone here is being unnecessarily negative.

Facebook has a knack for making life easier.

This makes life easier.

A lot less secure you mean. And if an issue arrises with the money transfer you're dealing with facebook to get the issue sorted out. Good luck getting justice there, not going to happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.