Facebook Messenger App??

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by applegeek01, Apr 29, 2015.

1. applegeek01 macrumors 6502

Sorry if this is a repost, but I just got a notification on my watch notifying me of a message I received on the messenger app for Facebook. What's odd, there is no watch app for the messenger app, and I definitely don't have it on my watch.

Can anyone explain?

2. SixtyK macrumors 6502a

SixtyK

I can't speak for anybody else, only myself, but I don't want Facebook anywhere near my watch. Facebook has gotten intrusive enough as it is.

3. applegeek01 thread starter macrumors 6502

It's not that I mind whether or not they have an app or not for Facebook or Messenger, I just thought it was odd that I got notifications from an app that obviously doesn't exist for the watch.

4. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

There doesn't have to be a Watch app to receive mirrored notifications from your iPhone. If you get notifications from an app on your iPhone, you can get them on the watch. If there is also a Watch app, touching the notification may take you into the app on your Watch but otherwise, you just see a detailed version of the notification with the option to clear it if you swipe left.

5. DredPirateStorm macrumors member

DredPirateStorm

Facebook hasn't made an official Apple Watch version of their app yet. So, all you can get on the watch are notifications passed through from the phone. Most other apps that don't have an official watch version do the same thing. I'm sure Facebook will update their app soon.

6. applegeek01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys for clarifying! This is why I love this forum. Someone always has the answer.

7. Geniva macrumors newbie

Notifications can be forwarded to the watch, even for apps with no watch app.

With that said, I wish Facebook did have an app so that the notification extensions could work on it.

EDIT: Beat me to it.

8. bjdraw macrumors 6502a

Based on my own observations, I'd say that the Watch is pulling notifications from the iPhone's Notifications screen. This includes all the actionable items and settings (if configured to mirror in the Watch App settings).

Example, I use Microsoft Outlook to connect to my corporate email. When I receive an email, I'm able to see the first few lines of the email and dismiss it, delete it or mark it read. All from my Watch (just like I can from the iPhone Notifications screen) and all without a Microsoft Outlook App installed on my Watch (such a thing doesn't exist).

9. susan12369 macrumors 6502

In the Apple Watch app on the iPhone, under Notifications, you can toggle the notifications settings for Messenger to mirror your phone or not.

10. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

Facebook Messenger works great on Android Wear. You can Like or reply back by voice. Hope Apple Watch gets the same type of features soon.