Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gabo864

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
i already downloaded the new watchOS 2 but I can't figure out how to download the messenger app. Is it not available yet?

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
I really hope they fix the efficiency of the app first. I only ever used Messenger once in a blue moon, yet when I deleted it off my phone I gained 3 hours of battery life. Can't imagine what it would do to my watch if it were on there.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Also wondering if whatsapp will be available too. Both whatsapp and Facebook Messenger work great on android wear. Surprised Apple Watch hasn't had this since day one!

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
It is about time they brought out the Facebook app now so many people would use it when they are using the watch it would be a lot more easier to use voice clips to respond to people then it would to type messages out
to people when you are out and about places.

J.C

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2008
It does? I got an update to Facebook and Facebook Messenger today but it didn't seem to add 3D Touch or Apple Watch support.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
It does? I got an update to Facebook and Facebook Messenger today but it didn't seem to add 3D Touch or Apple Watch support.

CQBtH4nUwAAXQ60.jpg

Works for me

J.C

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2008
Nice! What version is it? I'm on 37.0. The Watch app doesn't show it as being available to install.

J.C

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2008
I'm using the Australia app store if it makes a difference. Although that wouldn't seem to be the issue if we're all on the same version 37.0.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Note: This is NOT happening because Messenger is available on the Watch (it's not yet).

What you are seeing here is the new "Quick Reply" capability for Notifications in iOS9. Any messaging App can allow a "Reply" button directly from a notification now: http://www.iphonehacks.com/2015/06/ios-9-will-bring-quick-reply-feature-to-messaging-apps.html

That capability bleeds right over to the Watch... giving us the ability to respond.

This is still really cool though... I've tried it a few times and it seems to be working REALLY well (better than text messaging?!?). BUT, it only gives you the ability to Reply to messages... not start a new one.

For that, we're still going to have to wait for a real Apple Watch App.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Note: This is NOT happening because Messenger is available on the Watch (it's not yet).

What you are seeing here is the new "Quick Reply" capability for Notifications in iOS9. Any messaging App can allow a "Reply" button directly from a notification now: http://www.iphonehacks.com/2015/06/ios-9-will-bring-quick-reply-feature-to-messaging-apps.html

That capability bleeds right over to the Watch... giving us the ability to respond.

This is still really cool though... I've tried it a few times and it seems to be working REALLY well (better than text messaging?!?). BUT, it only gives you the ability to Reply to messages... not start a new one.

For that, we're still going to have to wait for a real Apple Watch App.

You are correct. You can only reply but can't start new messages. I mainly use the watch to reply anyway so this update is pretty useful to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.